close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

TFO Pro series???

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by rweis, Jul 2, 2007.

1. I am putting together a 3wt combo for my nephew and I have never fished the TFO Pro series. Anyone have any comments? He will be using it as a stream rod for warmwater species and probably won't be tossing a lot of tiny Trout flies. I looked at the Sage Launch and the Winston Ascent, but they seemed a lot faster (stiffer) than the TFO. I would probably go with one of those if he was going to use it for Trout.

The TFO is the 8'6" 4 pc model and I'm matching it with an Orvis BBSII and the new Wonderline. Opinions? Thanks.

2. Yep that is what I fish and I love it. Of Course I've never owned any other fly rod but I did cast a few others at the store and the TFO Pro bang for your buck is astounding.

It was much smoother than the Orvis rods I cast but not AS fast os the Sages. A real nice in between, and a great first fly rod. I give it my thumbs up for sure! Highly recommended, and underrated.

I use a 5wt and prowl both the warm water and cold, works equally well for both. It will be going to Montana this summer with me, Missuola and West Yellowstone, it will be my main axe for that trip. I'm sure it will do well.

3. I use a TFO Lefty kreh series 4 wt. 2 pc. and love it. Im sure you'd be happy with a TFO rod... especially for the price.

4. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Agreed, I carry a good represetation of the TFO line and had the opportunity to cast from the 2 wt to the 14 wieght blue water. Un beatable for the money and stand up to any other rod on the market. They are a lifetime rod. Fully guarenteed and they have the fastest turn around on repairs in the business. all of the component of the rod are manufactered in house. That means they are to exacting spec's and are not using any genaric part for there build outs. They also have really nice reels. very smooth and the tolerences are fantastic. Great drag system. Your nephew will very happy with that outfit. I really like the bbs series of reels from orvis and they are strong seller for me. Jim Teeny is also on board with TFO now as a rod designer. Thats 2 of the biggest names in fly fishing. Lefty has written some 80 books on fly fishing I'd say he has some knowledge. Teeny is great inovater in the Steelhead arena. His rod line is geared towards the steel head but make for some real nice bass rods aswell. You will not be dissapointed. They put together some real nice package outfits aswell. The combos come with rod, reel, backing line, leader and a nice hard case for around 175 bucks. A great deal. S

5. I have an 8 wt and love it. I've fished salmon, steel, bass and saltwater with it and its great rod. I will be buying another for sure.

6. .. i have a 6wt love it, and its a super carpin, and smallie rod, and a great small creek rod for steelhead, I have a 10wt and the stripers, and blue fish hate the rod .. lol .. the are both TiCr and I love them and I have fished them hard and bounce then around, and I'm very hard on my gear and they have lasted me this long with no problems, and then again I used to fish about 90-100 days a year..lol... enjoy the Rod!