close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Terrible day on the Ohio.

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by Fishman, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

It was only terrible if you compare it to Doc and his wifes day on the river :D In reality it was a pretty good day.

A friend of mine called me up and wanted to know if I wanted to go bass fishing (smallmouth/spots/largemouths) with him today on the Ohio. Naturally I knew he was crazy and we couldn't catch a bass this time of the year out of the Ohio. Regardless, I went just to get out of the house for the day.

We spend 9 and a half hours on the river and managed to catch 3 spots, lost one at the boat. Then caught 6 decent drum to go along with the spots. Something broke me off also, not sure what it was but I'm guess it was a drum.

Saw some guys catching saugers up at Meldahl, not a whole lot but they were catching them.

2. Sounds like you had a good day...
    How does the rain affect a big river like the Ohio compared to our little streams up north? It will shut us down for days...

3. Good to hear someone is getting out and enjoying the heat wave! I guess if I dont do well I cant wait too get back out thier also! :D

4. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Turkeyhunter, the ammount of rain we got down here yesterday doesn't really effect the river much, but rain throughout the state that drains into the Ohio basin effects it a lot. Here in Cinci for example, if the East side of the state gets a ton of rain but we get none eventually the river here will rise even though there was no rain. It's strange because the Ohios tribs down here will basically become "lakes" with no water moving out of them, and the Ohio rivers height acting like a dam. But the tribs, for the most part, stay nice and green.

5. Now that is food for thought...
    THANKS

6. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

It's very interesting to see, and I don't know how it effects fishing the tribs when this happens. I only just moved here this May and the first time I saw it I was a bit confused. Many of the guys down here that have lived here for a while would be able to tell you that. I'de think it would make it harder because with no current the fish just scatter. Then again it may be the opposite, with some of the Ohio River fish, coming into the tribs to get out of the current.

7. That is something I never would have thought of...
    THANKS

8. usually when you get that clear creek/stained Ohio river situation fish stack right at the mouth around the stain-line. Especially in the spring when the creek is warmer than the river. Can be a really hot spot for cats, whitebass, smallies, and LM.

Jake