close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tent suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ShakeDown, Mar 2, 2005.

1. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I'm looking to pickup a 4-5 person tent in the $100 range. Just for family camping, but my main concern is keeping the family dry! I have a smaller North Face tent, and I've owed Sierra Designs tents in the past. Not looking to spend that much, and need something bigger for the 3 of us and all of our gear. Any suggestions? I'm looking at a Columbia Bugaboo at the moment, and can get one out the door shipped for $115. Just wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking something. Staying dry is essential!

Thanks!

2. ShakeDown

Forgot to add...tent will probably only be used 3-4 times a season max. If it would see more use, I'd buy another North Face in a heartbeat ;)

3. Shake go somewhere where they have them set up on display,they seem to be different in real life than in mags!

4. ShakeDown

That I'll do for sure! I've just been outta the whole camping deal for a few years, so I don't know what I should be looking at :D

5. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

Shakedown,
    We got a tent from Walmart 2 years ago but I cannot remember the name of it. :eek: Anyway it is 9x15 and it sleeps the 4 of us with all our gear and we still have plenty of room. It is very weather proof and takes me about 15 minutes to set up by myself. I would not hesitate to buy another and it was less than $80.00. I will look and see if I can find the name of it.
    The only thing extra I did on it was treat the seams with a sealant/conditioner that came with the tent.

6. BPS is going to be having their year sale this month. They have their tents set up for you to walk in. I do not know the cost or if they are on sale though.

7. May also want to check out www.sportsmansguide.com . They always have a good selection of camping gear at good prices.

8. Miso_Ohio

Miso_Ohio Green Eggs And Ham

The Punk is correct, for only camping 3-4 times a year you may do best with a Walmart tent (Ozark Trails). Here is one similar to what I have "Walmart Tent" that I got on special over 3 years ago and it is still going strong. I can set it up in no time flat in 30 mph winds, it has yet to let me get wet and I use it a lot during the year in all weather for camping to fish all the way up to going to the dirt track to watch some racing.

My dad and I use it for a week straight in late summer to do nothing but hit about 4 different track for a week of racing and fishing. Granted the more expensive tents may last a whole lot longer if you are heading out 20 times a year, but for $40 which is what I paid for mine (sale towards spring to get rid of old models) and the amount of use and abuse I give my tent I cannot complain.

On another note get as big as a tent as you can that is easy to set up which most of the rounded tents are. My tent is rated at 6 person, but I would only rate it as a 4 person if you include some gear. Those tall square looking tents with the metal tent poles I would stay away from. I have watched many attempts to set those up in even a minor wind or at night be a major pain in the rear.

9. ShakeDown

10. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

had a buddy that had to return 3 of them cause they leaked, went to wally world and got a coleman and its dry as can be. i got one ive never used and probally never will use, if your interested. i think its a 4 man dome style coleman. only camping ill be doing is at the hilton..

ill bet your the clark griswald of camping...hehe

later
    sow

11. catking

catking Banned

Best tent I ever owned was a Remington . It sets up in about 5 minutes and is made excellent for under $100 . Problem is , it has somehow disappeared from DA KING's belongings .......... via cwcarper...... :rolleyes: .CK ~**~

12. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Ditto on the Wally World tents. I've had one for 4 years that gets used maybe once or twice a year and its supposed to sleep 5. I can stand up in the middle, takes about 10 minutes to setup and only cost about $55.

I would also check with Target. they sell Coleman tents and every once in a great while they have ones on sale or clearance. I'm always wanting a bigger/nicer tent, but I don't use it enough to justify the cost. I'd seriously take a look at the Wally World or Target (Coleman) tents. Best nag for your buck. Don't forget to get yourself a ground tarp to go under the tent and some nicer tent stakes to go with it. Those cheapo medal stakes wouldn't hold a roll of TP against a frog fart.

13. I got mine from Target. Sounds crazy, but we camped Kelleys every year the week of memorial day. Needless to say we alawys had at least 3 days with Nor Easter and Rain. Tent never leaked and we never got wet. I dont recall the brand, but it was a dome with rain fly. Could fit queen size air mattress and all gear for a week of camping. It was less than 125!!!

14. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i think i saw some nice tents set up already at cabo's camping..but i could be wrong :rolleyes:
    if staying dry is essential i would ask doc what he uses at eagle creek.. i know that thing hold a ton of gear with ample of room left.. plus it poured down on us that weekend pretty good.. even enough room for your dogs.. ;)
    the one you're looking at is similar to mine, structure wise.. with the poles being that thin looking and the tent being that big, it may cause some problems for you.. my tent is at least half that size, and it was shakin quite abit in 50mph wind at kiser lake....
    just make sure whatever you get is returnable.. take it home.. set the whole thing up.. check out the room inside.. shake the heck out of it to simulate windy situations(make sure you pegged down) and make sure it doesn't wobble too badly.. helps if u have someone inside to help ya.. thats what i do to see if its worth keeeping or not..
    your needs and mine are totally different.. so i really can't tell you what to get specifically..

15. Got mine at Sam's club for $89.00 and its 20X18X80 super tent easy to set up with 2 people... too big for me and the 3 kids and all our gear...

16. Character Zero

Character Zero Smallie Phan

TARGET has an Eddie Bauer tent that sleeps 8 and has a ton of room....you could probably park a mini cooper in there, or a 4 wheeler.... i think it is $125 or more.....killer tent anyhow..

17. Good grief that's a big tent. ;) :D

18. 20 ft X 18 ft X 80 inches high LMAO you guys kill me man LOL
    anyone who knows tents would already have known that ;)
    I have another one that is bigger then that too :D

19. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I stopped in at Dicks the other day. They had all their tents on sale. They had a nice looking five man tent, regularly $149, on sale for $99. If I didn't have six tents of various sizes already, I would have jumped on it.

You can't go wrong with a Coleman. Whatever you buy, make sure it has a polypropelene (sp?) that goes up the sidewalls a few inches. Make sure it does not have a polyethelene floor.