Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an old Crappie fisherman tell me today how to find a group of Crappie spawning along the bank line today. According to him you should look for a mud cloud in the water along the bank and around the bank line. He says that a large group of Crappie swarming around in a small area will cause a mud cloud to form around the spawn area and this is a sure fire spot to flip a minnow into. He cruses the bank line in a lake to look for this tell tale sign rather that trying every downed tree or bursh pile you run into.

According to this old guy,,,this is a much faster way to find hot Crappie spawning bite without waisting time on every possible location in a good size lake.
Well, I'll see if I can find that true ??? Anyone else ever hear of such a thing?????????

·
Senior Executive Member
1,285 Posts
yea, the carp were jumping every 2 minutes at Hoover yesterday, often creating large clouds of mud.

no crappie were caught!

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Crappie spawn in relatively deep water for a panfish. Not sure what this is about .

·
Konfused Kayaker
5,158 Posts
I've seen them at Ladue spawning in 3-4ft of water in submerged reeds.
You could see the reeds moving as the crappie swam through them.

·
SOLID MEAT
5,713 Posts
depends on the lake. in a clearer lake with little bottom much they fish wont have a cloud. just keep looking. i know at mogadore the bottom content is what draws the fish and they will spawn anywhere from 2 ft down to 10 ft.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Best time to catch them is just before or just after the spawn. They usually hold to some type of grass or woody cover. I have been told they even spawn in the woody cover and not on the bare ground like most panfish and bass do, if that is true then they wont cloud the water much. But I am used to fishing for them in southern waters where they may act differently than they do up here. ?????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts