Ohio Game Fishing banner

Telescopic, travel friendly rod

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Darby Rat 
#1 ·
I am going to some wild places soon and I need a rod that will fit in my bagpack. I almost purchases the penrod, but I found somewhere on these forums that the penrod is not worth even the $8 it costs.

Any telescopic rods that you can recommend?

I think I would use my Gander Mountain reel that I have, is quite small, but I need a rod that I can trust. A combo would be OK as well. I would be fishing salt water flats and also maybe fresh water rivers in the tropics.

Thanks!

#5 ·
I mostly kayak fish, so I fish the same Shakespeare 5.5' telescopic rod that SConner mentioned in his post. I've this combo outfit for 15+ yrs. now and have only broke 2 poles. 1st pole lasted about 10 years (it didnt break all the way, only cracked the end section), and I just broke the 2nd one this summer. I got another exact combo again at Meijer's, because I had a hard time finding them at Wally World, where I got the last 2. Prior to finding that combo, I bought an Eagle Claw 5.5' tele combo. They both fish about the same. I like it too. Don't let their size fool you, these little guys can really take some abuse, and land large fish. Largest fish landed on them was a 30" carp, along with several 15+" sheepsheads. Yet to meet a smallie I could'nt handle. The secret is setting the drap just right, so the line stretch, rod bowing, and drag work for you. The reels that come with them are OK, but I have better UL reels I switch around on them. Carry several xtra reels as backups, they're small. By the way, I own 6 regular size medium spinning rod combos and more rods that I use also, but when yaking only the little guy. When I fish the larger combo's I still take the UL because you can present lures better in some situations than the big boys. Just my $0.02 worth. Good luck on your purchase decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.