close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Technology Opinion 4 stroke-Etec

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pike, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Pike

Pike

Not trying to start a war, just trying to get some information. I am looking at possibly purchasing a different boat, have looked at three so far. The boat is exactly the same but all had different motors.

1 had a 60 HP merc. 4 stroke
    1 had a 50 HP Honda 4 stroke
    1 had a 50 HP Evinrude Etec
    All the motors are about 3-4 years old.

I have had a couple people tell me that all 4 stroke technology is basically the same, of course being a little bit cynical I question that. Everything I have heard about the Etecs sounds good, but a dealer not associated with the brand recently told me that the technology was not as good as 4 strokes on the market and Bombardier was struggling with the motor.

I have a friend that has a Honda and it seems like a really nice motor. My original preference when I started looking was Etec. Any advice on this from those who have experience would be appreciated.

Pike

2. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

For the E-Tech, I believe it is an oil injected 2-cycle motor...no mixing. From what I have heard and read, the 4-stroke gives better gas mileage and is quieter. A 4-cycle is a 4-cycle like a car's engine but manufacturers use different valve timings, stroke, and bore like a car's engine to get most output for their design.

3. Pike

Pike

Thanks soua0363, I would also be interested in any common problems associated with any of these motors.

I think that you can pull engine hours off of the Etec without having an engine hour meter on the boat. Is it possible to do that with the Mercs and Hondas?

Pike