Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Permanent Part Time
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No wonder I see no one on the lake during the day.They are all out at night tearenup.Lots of charters going out of Cleveland now.Is that a good sign?The Flippers are moving in now "Smaller fish" so now the net won't get tangled as I just Flipem over the side.We'll be out again tonite as daytime sucks for now.If you see me out there give me a holler on 68.The only downside to flippin I went 6 for 9 by myself.
Don't miss out on the Party Come on Down.Lots of OGFers out at nite they just don't broadcast it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah Donkey I was out last night too. My brother and I went 12 for 14. Took us from about 7 till midnight though. Sounded like others did alot better. It was a great night to be out there.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
we too did ok,,,

17 for 20... and only one decent fish... but some danady eaters for sure,
we to had to work for them fish to get to them going ... it really didt catch on until 11:30 for us.. and we started @ 7:45 or so.... got off the lake @ 1AM..

Nice couple nights out on the lake.... Im just happy i got to fish and try to enjoy it....

no real pattarm that i can recall. any glass perch or renoksy worked or orange belley HJ 's ,and ripstics from as little as 5 to 7 back to 65 @ times..

Frank

·
Permanent Part Time
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence.Just remember talk is cheap and stick to your program.Many times you will find the Others were at it all day long versus your 3-4 hrs.
I also caught a sheephead trolling is that Bad omen?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
we too did ok,,,

17 for 20... and only one decent fish... but some danady eaters for sure,
we to had to work for them fish to get to them going ... it really didt catch on until 11:30 for us.. and we started @ 7:45 or so.... got off the lake @ 1AM..

Nice couple nights out on the lake.... Im just happy i got to fish and try to enjoy it....

no real pattarm that i can recall. any glass perch or renoksy worked or orange belley HJ 's ,and ripstics from as little as 5 to 7 back to 65 @ times..

Frank
Ahh, this is the old "you turned too soon thang"

Popped 6 just west of when you turned to go back east!! Including 2 doubles:) Called it quits about 10:30

reo

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,457 Posts
The open water has not been all that great to us, don't get me wrong we where pulling but not like we could be.....we moved spots yesterday, as soon as we did, bang bang bang we had some doubles and almost a triple but the 3rd came unbuckled quickly before we could pull the rod out.

Felt good to get them going quickly.

·
Permanent Part Time
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tonight should be a real zoo out with it being Friday night.Will probably have to park in the overflow lot.

·
Permanent Part Time
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
" The spring night season normally begins around the second week of April and lasts to mid June.
After the walleye spawn, they stay close to shore where the bait fish is still more abundant. This period is called
the post-spawn, when the walleyes feed heavy to recuperate from the spawning. The spring season will start any
time during the first half of April, and this is when the big spawned out females are being caught. As the spring
season progresses through May, you will begin to catch a mixed size of walleyes, and it can extend well into June,
rarely even into July. A good indicator that the spring season is drawing to an end is when you begin to catch
sheepheads while night trolling for walleyes. Once this happens, within a couple of weeks the walleye will be gone
out to deeper waters"

This is a quote from FishCrazies website.I caught a sheephead last nite while trolling.Could this be the beginning of the end.

I knew I read this somewhere and the sheep was bad news.;)

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,457 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a sheepheed to much, Fishcrazy knows his nite bite like no other, hats off to him on that....but is no fisheries biologist....I was catching limits of walleye in august in 80 degree water in 6 feet of water last year, granted they where small but they where walleye and mighty tasty. If you feel the need to venture offshore off vermillion.huron or cleveland you can catch nicer fish all summer long at night, they feed better at night and often way easier to catch, I know a couple guys getting them on spoons at night in 50 feet of water near the crib last year at night. Sheeps don't mean anything, except running crawler rigs gets annoying and the water is in fact warming, I haven't caught a sheep head yet if it matters, not even a white bass NOTHING but walleye, Hettfieldinn caught a smallie on my boat but that's it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have been fishing the night bite for a few years now and have caught many fish in close well into the summer. I agree with fish-crazy that in close they tend to run smaller, but the fact is they are there all season. We run two boards and two flatlines with shallow divers and take fish of the Gold Coast through August. It seems that the later the year runs the longer (at night) it takes for the fish to come in. This pattern has held up for over a decade.:B

1 - 10 of 10 Posts