close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

TEAM LANGE in sunday paper

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dip, May 1, 2005.

1. dip

dip dip

Lynn and her net boy lookin good in the dayton daily news! congrats agin TEAM LANGE!

2. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

Must go get me a copy...

WTG you two...

3. The DDN requires you signup, but here's the article

Team Lang Article

Springfield husband-wife team go after giant catfish

By Jim Morris

Dayton Daily News

SPRINGFIELD | Lynn and Tim Lange, also known as Team Lange, love to fish. But they only fish for one species of fish � catfish. Big catfish.

"Most of our fishing is done on the Ohio River," Tim said. "That's where the big fish are and that's where many of the tournaments are held. We go to tournaments on other rivers, too, but we don't pre-fish because of our jobs."

He works at the Eurand Corp. in Vandalia and she works at Honeywell in Urbana. If they need an extra day to drive to a tournament, they take vacation days.

Team Lange fishes on the U.S. C.A.T.S. (United States Catfish Anglers Tournament Series) tournament trail, mostly in the Indiana District. There are four districts in the Midwest and South in addition to the pro tournament trail.

Although channel catfish count toward the team's total weight in tournaments, the real prizes are the huge blue catfish and the big flatheads.

In a tournament earlier this spring out of West Point, Ky., on the Ohio River, Lynn surprised everyone by bringing in an 88-pound blue cat, a record on the U.S. C.A.T.S. circuit. It was 55 inches long and 18 inches wide.

"It was a lot of fun to catch, but it took me 40 minutes to bring it in," Lynn explained.

They found the spot they wanted to fish 40 miles from West Point at 8 a.m. that day, but it wasn't until noon that the big blue made its appearance.

"We were just sitting there talking and watching our rods (in rod holders) and I noticed one of her rods twitch," Tim said.

She pulled on it and, sure enough, something pulled back.

"She had decided to fish with a large shad head to catch a big fish. And once the pole started going down, it didn't quit," he said.

"I had no idea how big it was and we thought it was a flathead the way it acted," Lynn said. "When it ran, I let it go. When it stopped, I started reeling. Then it would take off again.

"The fish surfaced about 25 yards behind the boat and we could see it was a blue. We were pretty excited because we knew it was a 50-pound or larger fish," she added.

It took an hour to get the big blue and three other fish back to the weigh-in. They wound up in second place, but had "big fish" and won more than $900.

Asked to hold up the fish several times for pictures, Lynn said she "got slimed up pretty good, but that was OK. That doesn't bother me."

Tim said the reason they fish exclusively for catfish is: "That's what I grew up fishing for. My grandfather taught me how to fish the rivers for catfish, so I've stayed with it."

Catfishing has changed through the years and Tim remembers how his grandfather taught him.

"There were no electronics in those days. You found the fish by being able to read the water," he said. "The electronics make it a lot easier, especially on the big rivers."

The electronic fish-finder helps you read the bottom, looking for drop-offs and other structure. It also helps see fish, especially "clouds" of bait fish. Tim says where you find shad, you will find catfish.

Depending on where the tournament is held, they might catch more blues than flatheads in a particular area. If there's a spot where both are found, the flatheads hang out on the bottom and blues move around.

Lynn fishes mostly with cut shad. Tim prefers live bait, shad that he catches at C.J. Brown or other area lakes with his cast net. They also like skipjack when they can find them. His boat is equipped with a livewell for bait, in addition to two 32-gallon livewells that came with his 20-foot Smokercraft. He also built his own 60-gallon livewell out of a truck box, used to bring back the big ones. Once the fish are weighed, they are released alive.

They use 25-pound test monofilament with a 60-pound leader on large baitcasting reels and heavy rods. Depending on the current, they use 3-ounce to 12-ounce sinkers with 8/0 or 6/0 circle hooks. And since there is plenty of current on a big river, they hold their boat with a 25-pound Richter anchor and 125 feet or rope.

They have been married 11 years and have fished as a team for the past nine. For more information on fishing for big catfish, visit Team Lange's Web site at hookedoncatfish.com or go to uscats.org.

Contact Jim Morris at 225-2409.

4. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Way to go Doc and Lynn!

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Thats a pretty nice writeup. Way to go.

6. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

7. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

Thanks all,

Yep pretty good article, had one in the Springfield paper and now the Dayton, the word on catfish is starting to spread.

8. catking

catking Banned

Very nice indeed Doc & Lynn !!! THE CATKING !!!....... :)