Ohio Game Fishing banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Like her or not, Taylor Swift is an excellent song writer. Her voice, at worst, can be categorized as at least Average as far as female pop singers go. (I like her voice.) She's a tremendous, musical talent.
But you're not looking at her in the proper context, IMHO: In today's entertainment world, which is full of no talent a*s clowns, she's actually very talented. Her work would still be wildly successful in the late 1960s to early 1990s.....
You’ve set the bar pretty low! How would she fare next to Aretha Franklin, Janis Joplin, Tina Turner, etc.?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Though I absolutely loved the music in our time, I was never much of a concert goer. I'd buy the LP, the 8-track or cassette instead. I know I missed out on a lot of good times and regret it, I worked six days a week and went to school four or five. What little time that was left was for the outdoors or for quaffing 3.2 beer in a loud, musty, smoke-filled pub.

Funny, but there were no student loans back then, at least that I'm aware of. I worked part time when I started YSU and was able to afford my tuition, books and cheap beer and cigarettes while doing so. I believe a quarter was $197. I so feel for anyone going to school these days. The price of education has gone stupid. I also can't understand how youth can afford concert tickets in these times. I guess I'm old and confused.......lol.
I resemble that remark LOL old and confused the price of everything has gone stupid I too would buy LP or 8 tracks I think my first concert was in my 30's LOL I worked 6 or 7 days a week like you, missed a lot but you know what No regrets

·
Registered
353 Posts
I saw AC/DC in 1990 at the Colosseum, people were so drunk that they were falling down the stairs. When we left there were so many cars in the ditches you couldn’t count them. I went back to the same concert in 1991 and they didn’t serve alcohol. Those tickets were $40. I would have cried if I missed those concerts!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Back in the day when I was going to a lot of concerts at least the tickets were relatively cheap. Of course for some high demand shows you might have to camp outside the ticket window, to be there first thing in the morning when the tickets went on sale. This was before the internet and some part of it even before Ticketmaster existed.
World Series of Rock?

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
10,748 Posts
World Series of Rock?
Yep! Among others. Heck, there was local church that would put on outdoor rock concerts that were free to the public. Even saw the James Gang at several of them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Though I absolutely loved the music in our time, I was never much of a concert goer. I'd buy the LP, the 8-track or cassette instead. I know I missed out on a lot of good times and regret it, I worked six days a week and went to school four or five. What little time that was left was for the outdoors or for quaffing 3.2 beer in a loud, musty, smoke-filled pub.

Funny, but there were no student loans back then, at least that I'm aware of. I worked part time when I started YSU and was able to afford my tuition, books and cheap beer and cigarettes while doing so. I believe a quarter was $197. I so feel for anyone going to school these days. The price of education has gone stupid. I also can't understand how youth can afford concert tickets in these times. I guess I'm old and confused.......lol.
Couldn’t agree more. The cost of education is absurd now and, imo, the main reason is the Taj Mahal facilities these institutions are building on their campuses in the race to attract students. Higher education is definitely a business but it seems the bottom line is now more important than actual education.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Couldn’t agree more. The cost of education is absurd now and, imo, the main reason is the Taj Mahal facilities these institutions are building on their campuses in the race to attract students. Higher education is definitely a business but it seems the bottom line is now more important than actual education.
That is exactly how I see it. When I started at YSU in 1972, there were only 6 main buildings. Today that same campus stretches for blocks. I cannot believe all classrooms are utilized during open hours. I also question so many majors that render little employment chances upon graduation. I've seen the Kent State campus grow the same way. Though I wholeheartedly support ongoing education, the work world can only absorbed so many accountants, lawyers, engineers and so on. I wish trade schools were expanded and promoted more. We need blue collars as much as white. And all education should increase wages, not reduce them because of student debt.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
10,748 Posts
My Cousin from near Pittsburgh attended YSU for a while, and finished his college education at Robert Morris. He is a little older than me, and was back in town a few years ago for a visit. We took him around the campus and he couldn't recognize the place!

·
Registered
112 Posts
That is exactly how I see it. When I started at YSU in 1972, there were only 6 main buildings. Today that same campus stretches for blocks. I cannot believe all classrooms are utilized during open hours. I also question so many majors that render little employment chances upon graduation. I've seen the Kent State campus grow the same way. Though I wholeheartedly support ongoing education, the work world can only absorbed so many accountants, lawyers, engineers and so on. I wish trade schools were expanded and promoted more. We need blue collars as much as white. And all education should increase wages, not reduce them because of student debt.
Yes sir. Over the 6-8 years, I’ve had several college kids working for me that have said they will have $80K+ in student loan debt by the time they are done and the majority of them will be lucky to make $50-60K right out of school. And to your point about majors, it seems like every other kid is majoring in Sports Management - bad news kids, you’re probably not going to end up working in pro sports - LOL.
You’re also dead on about trade schools - the skilled trades are absolutely desperate for people. I wonder how often trade schools or joining a trade union are mentioned as options by teachers and guidance counselors. I can say with some certainty that it was never really discussed with kids that had “potential” when I was in high school. It was all college all the time. The only kids they talked to about the trades were kids with bad grades which is absolutely ridiculous. I honestly think the fastest way to make good money anymore is in the trades. Through a union or other on the job apprenticeships, you’re getting paid to learn the trade without incurring tens of thousands of dollars of debt. Once you’re done with your training, you’re likely making as much or more as an entry level college grad in many, if not most, fields.

·
Registered
187 Posts
OK in my judgement you should only go to school after high school to get a better job. Also guidance counsellors don't know their a** from a hole in the ground. They are the ones advising these kids to go to school to study all these worthless fields of pursuit.

My background is I joined the Army, would have been drafted, and got an undergrad degree in Chemistry from a PA state school. GI bill took care of everything. Went to grad school and had to borrow 3K$ for a semester, until I got an assistantship. I knew what I wanted to do and I needed the education.
Moral of the story, don't borrow money if you can't pay it back. Join the Army.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts