Ohio Game Fishing banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've seen pictures of guys my age {65} literally weeping because the Buckeyes lost a football game. There is nothing in this world other than the death of a child or grandchild that could ever elicit that type of response from me. Certainly not a sports team or musical act.
Nailed it. I will never forget the 1998 Michigan State game at the ‘Shoe which is saying something given what I had for “breakfast” that day - as well as “lunch” and “dinner”. I was in college at the time (my excuse for drinking potentially lethal quantities of beer for breakfast), and I distinctly remember grown men literally weeping in the parking lot of the stadium after we lost. Granted, we had a potential national championship team that season and arguably one of the best OSU teams of all time but clearly remember thinking that these guys needed to bring it down several notches. Now that I’m closer to the age of these guys, I still can’t imagine openly crying about a game. Believe me, I bleed scarlet and gray but not enough to make a complete jack ass of myself. Admittedly, I’m quite sure I engaged in many other forms of “jack assery” that day that I conveniently can’t remember as clearly but at least I wasn’t sobbing in public.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Buuuuuttt...have you listened to any of the bluegrass covers of classic rock songs? Now THAT is amusing. Search "Iron Horse Bluegrass" on YouTube. Rocketman might be my favorite.
I've actually listened to covers done by Bluegrass groups of Classical Rock. They're really pretty good. The first was probably Elton John's Rocketman.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Not sure if it was Ticketmaster owned back then (40-50yrs ago), but we always went to Sears to get tickets. They sold them at the customer service desk. Always got what we needed, and never waited. Still had time for the stoner part in the parking lot :D
LOL I used to go to Sears for tickets LOL

·
'Super Moderator'
14,411 Posts
All this crying and weeping over not getting these tickets to see...in this case a singer would be really funny If'n is wasn't so sad. Sad that there are people that let themselves get so mentally wrapped up in idolizing entertainers that they would get that emotional over not seeing somebody they most likely have never even met...

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I really don't know much about her music and wouldn't recognize any of her songs without mention from a DJ but to be honest, I think I would rather listen to her music than hip-hop with its computer generated music. I guess in the long run that I'll just grow dusty listening to Classic Rock and Bluegrass, the Original Geezer Pleasers.
She’s a cute little girl but you don’t recognize her tunes because THEY ALL SOUND ALIKE!

A favorite pet peeve of mine: Why are Jethro Tull & Emerson, Lake & Palmer NOT in the Rock Hall of Fame?? Disgraceful!!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
She’s a cute little girl but you don’t recognize her tunes because THEY ALL SOUND ALIKE!

A favorite pet peeve of mine: Why are Jethro Tull & Emerson, Lake & Palmer NOT in the Rock Hall of Fame?? Disgraceful!!
Grand Funk RR too. Loved Tull. Just listened to Brain Salad Surgery tonight. Lord how I'd love to revisit those times once again.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just imagine
No chance of that happening. These stars' popularity is based on helping people escape reality. Some people do drugs, some think Taylor Swift is singing directly to them. I had a cousin who was convinced she was going to marry Jeff Gordon. She cried when he got married and eventually moved on...to Tony Stewart.

Shame, but these delusional folks will never be anchored in reality.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Like her or not, Taylor Swift is an excellent song writer. Her voice, at worst, can be categorized as at least Average as far as female pop singers go. (I like her voice.) She's a tremendous, musical talent.
But you're not looking at her in the proper context, IMHO: In today's entertainment world, which is full of no talent a*s clowns, she's actually very talented. Her work would still be wildly successful in the late 1960s to early 1990s.....when many people consider music to have been at its best.
One last bit of context: many in this Country would have mocked most of us for our passion over recent ammo shortages and debating such things as rod limit in the State of Ohio. :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Like her or not, Taylor Swift is an excellent song writer. Her voice, at worst, can be categorized as at least Average as far as female pop singers go. (I like her voice.) She's a tremendous, musical talent.
But you're not looking at her in the proper context, IMHO: In today's entertainment world, which is full of no talent a*s clowns, she's actually very talented. Her work would still be wildly successful in the late 1960s to early 1990s.....when many people consider music to have been at its best.
One last bit of context: many in this Country would have mocked most of us for our passion over recent ammo shortages and debating such things as rod limit in the State of Ohio. :)
One thing for sure, we didn't have the drama in the 60s and through the 90s that we do today. We weren't inundated with a plethora of opinions as is the case today (not to be confused with intelligent discussions or debates). Social media has changed the landscape of who we all are. As for Swift, I've no truck with her. I really don't listen to that kind of music and to each their own. I guess I'm just overwhelmed by the public displays of emotion and drama anymore. We were taught not to wear our hearts on our sleeves and to deal with whatever life threw at us with dignity. Don't get me wrong, I've an opinion on many subjects but for the most part, I don't feel the need to share them on places like Tiktok or Twitter. But as I stated, maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon that sees things through the eyes of an ancient. Also, as shared, I think I would much rather listen to her than hiphop anyday.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
No chance of that happening. These stars' popularity is based on helping people escape reality. Some people do drugs, some think Taylor Swift is singing directly to them. I had a cousin who was convinced she was going to marry Jeff Gordon. She cried when he got married and eventually moved on...to Tony Stewart.

Shame, but these delusional folks will never be anchored in reality.
sad but true

·
Registered
187 Posts
You know this is crazy how these kids pay so much money to see an act. My first concert was Iron Butterfly and I paid 3$ to get in. The only crowd control was a 70 year old rent a cop. It was a different world then.
I taught school for 4 years after I retired and I used to tell the kids I saw Ozzy Osbourne when he was a teenager.
I stopped the whole concert thing in college in the 70s when you had to constantly check you back to see if someone was going to projectile vomit on you.
The world just gives too much adoration to these rock stars, rappers and adoration. Their sh*t stinks just like ours.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I don't think it's possible to put into words the feelings of massive disappointment I've had when I couldn't get any of those tickets 😰😥
I don’t think it’s possible to put into words the feelings of massive disappointment I’ve had reading about Taylor Swift on OGF! 🤣😂🤣

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
You know this is crazy how these kids pay so much money to see an act. My first concert was Iron Butterfly and I paid 3$ to get in. The only crowd control was a 70 year old rent a cop. It was a different world then.
I taught school for 4 years after I retired and I used to tell the kids I saw Ozzy Osbourne when he was a teenager.
I stopped the whole concert thing in college in the 70s when you had to constantly check you back to see if someone was going to projectile vomit on you.
The world just gives too much adoration to these rock stars, rappers and adoration. Their sh*t stinks just like ours.
I agree but in the late 60's min wage was around $1.60 LOL $3.00 was a lot of money back then

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I don’t think it’s possible to put into words the feelings of massive disappointment I’ve had reading about Taylor Swift on OGF! 🤣😂🤣
Rodsinthemud your too funny for your massive disappointment try a new turn of the century cure Latte Mocka with a twist now me ? Nice bottle of Jim Beam and a hour to kill it LOL

·
Registered
400 Posts
Rodsinthemud your too funny for your massive disappointment try a new turn of the century cure Latte Mocka with a twist now me ? Nice bottle of Jim Beam and a hour to kill it LOL
Oh I got the cure….🤪
Drinkware Liquid Bottle Tableware Glass bottle

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I agree but in the late 60's min wage was around $1.60 LOL $3.00 was a lot of money back then
Though I absolutely loved the music in our time, I was never much of a concert goer. I'd buy the LP, the 8-track or cassette instead. I know I missed out on a lot of good times and regret it, I worked six days a week and went to school four or five. What little time that was left was for the outdoors or for quaffing 3.2 beer in a loud, musty, smoke-filled pub.

Funny, but there were no student loans back then, at least that I'm aware of. I worked part time when I started YSU and was able to afford my tuition, books and cheap beer and cigarettes while doing so. I believe a quarter was $197. I so feel for anyone going to school these days. The price of education has gone stupid. I also can't understand how youth can afford concert tickets in these times. I guess I'm old and confused.......lol.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts