Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there is a poll on this forum somewhere but I thought I would ask anyway. What is the No.1 targeted species in Ohio? The DNR has survey information but I'm interested to see what member opinions are. Please post your favorite target and how far do you travel to fish for them?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Bass. Though on ogf I would guess saugeye and walleye will rule supreme. Personally I fish for most every species of fish that can be caught in central Ohio. The farthest I have travelled to fish for bass is the upper peninsula of Michigan after smallies, though I ended up catching more walleye. For me I usually start off targeting species other than bass but always end up bass fishing. Just seems there usually biting better.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I'm sure there is a poll on this forum somewhere but I thought I would ask anyway. What is the No.1 targeted species in Ohio? The DNR has survey information but I'm interested to see what member opinions are. Please post your favorite target and how far do you travel to fish for them?
There used to be a species poll on the OGF homepage for years but it must've expired. You can start a poll anytime by clicking on New Thread and then scroll down to where it talks about creating a poll.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I target bass almost exclusively. As to which species of bass I prefer, I can't really make a choice. As far as how far I travel to catch them. I live in the Akron Ohio area, in the northeast portion of the state. I've been as far south as Marietta Ohio on the Ohio River, and Alum Creek Reservoir near Columbus, and of course all of the lakes in this section of the state.

I wouldn't want to hazard a guess as to which species is targeted the most, state wide. I think it all depends on what section of the state you're in.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
from what they ( DNR) tells us, in Ohio the most targeted species is catfish, just remember how many folks are near public access plunking anything that will bite and those are the folks hit up most often by the survey folks.

Besides catfish, everything else is just bait.....:p

Salmonid

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The elusive sheephead. I have become an expert over the years. I have successfully caught them as far west as Port Clinton and as Far East as Geneva.

Strictly catch and release out of respect for the species.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Like my screen name, I do fish for walleye, bass and steel head, but will only travel for Muskie, just cant see spending money to catch bait, just kidding, been to Georgian bay the kawartas, st clair and of corse Chautauqua to hunt Muskie, if our for fathers had not commercially fished Erie for Muskie I would have a place on Erie...

·
Banned
6,234 Posts
I fish for Crappie and Walleye to eat...and Bass for fun.
My home lake CJ Brown is about 10 minutes from my house and work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Like my screen name, I do fish for walleye, bass and steel head, but will only travel for Muskie, just cant see spending money to catch bait, just kidding, been to Georgian bay the kawartas, st clair and of corse Chautauqua to hunt Muskie, if our for fathers had not commercially fished Erie for Muskie I would have a place on Erie...
There is still good musky in the east end of the lake and great fishing in the Niagara.

My original stomping grounds was the Moon River on Georgian Bay. Was there for almost 30 years.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Mine is catfish, but overall for the entire state it has to be bass. Sure if your in northern ohio it may be walleye but how often is anyone south of 70 walleye fishing. Everything else seems to be more seasonal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts