close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tappan Saugeye?

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fishing_marshall, Oct 13, 2004.

1. I'm gonna be at tappan on my uncle's boat saturday. We're gonna fish for saugeye. Anybody doing any good? We will probaly use shad raps and vibees. Also , are the crappies biting at all? thanks. :D

2. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

I've only been back for a few days so I'm not completely up on what is going on, but we are getting good business from Crappie anglers. I imagine that they are getting Crappies. Water temps are in the mid 50's so they should be active on deep brush. There are Saugeyes being taken at the deep underpasses on Vib-"E"s and at the shallow underpasses on crankbaits. The best Crankbait bite is from about 2:00AM till daylight and the Vib-"E" bite starts just about the time the cranklbait bite slacks off and lasts till 8:30 or 9:00AM. Trollers, jiggers, and riggers are picking a few up 'Eyes during the day. There have been at least 2 fish over 10 pounds taken in the last few days during the early bite.

3. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Wow Jim, 10 lbers would be nice! Wished I could get one of those!

4. Corey

This is the time for the big girls at Tappan. There will be more 10 pound + Saugeyes caught here in the next few weeks than during the rest of the season. The bridges at Clendenning and rocky shorelines will also produce some hawgs. The spillway creeks and the Tusc will just get better and better till freeze-up makes it difficult to fish. The creeks will freeze and the Tusc will have rim ice. Five Waters and the Hospital Point will be good areas to target. Now's the time for the little Jon boats there.

5. Do the saugeyes bite in the Tusc. during the winter?

6. Corey

Definitely! In years when there is little or no ice on the river to interfere with fishing from the shore, I have had some great times at Five Waters in late December and January. The Hospital Point is more dependent on water flow from the spillway creeks but can be great under the right conditions. There are some good holes in the Stillwater between U-ville and the Tusc that can also be very good in Winter. The stretch from Dover to Moose Island also has some good spots.

7. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Thanks again for the info Jim, Now you just need to take me there and show me how it is done!lol! :D :p

I might be out sometime to buy some Vibe's! I will be there tom for the cat tourney, but I also want to get some blades for the saugeye's All this talk about them is getting me to wanting to go!