Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
First fished Tappan in 1955 or 56. It’s hard not to catch fish there. Sometimes their not what you’re seeking, but there is always something biting.
Probably going there Wednesday or Thursday this week. Gonna concentrate on the East end cause I normally always fish the West end.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First fished Tappan in 1955 or 56. It’s hard not to catch fish there. Sometimes their not what you’re seeking, but there is always something biting.
Probably going there Wednesday or Thursday this week. Gonna concentrate on the East end cause I normally always fish the West end.
Always easier to fish a place that you can get some bites on. Gives you something to work of. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
While 18 pounds is a big bag it is not shocking at all coming out of tappan. Multiple 18 to 20 pound bags come out of that lake every year. And yes I do hate that lake never been able to nail it down

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While 18 pounds is a big bag it is not shocking at all coming out of tappan. Multiple 18 to 20 pound bags come out of that lake every year. And yes I do hate that lake never been able to nail it down
My buddy had been fishing it for a long time and never seen a sack like that from there. Do you see many smallmouth come out of there, or they mostly largemouth weighed in?

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Both larg and smallmouth. Largemouth are the dominate species but there is a solid population of quality small mouth. Me and a buddy fished tappan on Friday boater 12 keepers 3 of which were small mouth. Fished a tourney there a few years ago and it took 19 pounds to win. Me and my dad had a 3 fish limit for 15 pounds around 4 years ago down there. When you get dialed on the big ones down there you can catch some seriously big bags

·
Registered
36 Posts
I fished Tappan on Monday for about 5 hours. Spent about 2.5 hours of it graphing. Only caught two small largemouth. Haven't been able to dial in that lake yet either. I fished all the areas that made the most sense, shallow in the early morning, then main lake points, humps, and flats. Graphs were showing a lot of fish but my livewell speaks otherwise.

·
Pushin' Tin
4,511 Posts
I've been fishing tournaments of all kinds on Tappan for 22 years and I've only EVER seen a handful of bags that heavy. And like said before, most were April and May events. That's an incredible feat on that lake, and the weights throughout the rest of the field prove that. Tappan usually gives up a bunch of keeper bites... but not many bags with 3- 4lb+ fish. Those guys definitely had it figured out for the day.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been fishing tournaments of all kinds on Tappan for 22 years and I've only EVER seen a handful of bags that heavy. And like said before, most were April and May events. That's an incredible feat on that lake, and the weights throughout the rest of the field prove that. Tappan usually gives up a bunch of keeper bites... but not many bags with 3- 4lb+ fish. Those guys definitely had it figured out for the day.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
that’s what I’ve heard too

1 - 11 of 11 Posts