close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

tappan lake (catfishing 6-26-04)

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by tcba1987, Jun 27, 2004.

1. tcba1987

tcba1987 Tuscarawas River Angler

fished tappan lake with my brother in law saturday night. we fished from 8 pm to 2 am near the lower end of the lake. we caught 16 channel & blue cats, no big ones most of them were around 12 inchers, we did have 3 about 2 lbs. all of our fish were caught on fresh chicken livers on bottom rigs. i have a question for the group, what areas should i try for cats at tappan ?? i dont fish there much for cats but would like any advice you could give me. what baits to try, what areas, and so forth.

2. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought there were no blue cats in Tappan or any of the area waters. Like I said I may be wrong. I just thought only channels and flats. and bull heads I guess

Let me know!

3. Your right rockbass. No blues, just channels.

4. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

Many anglers see the Channels that are bluish gray with big heads and think they are Blues. Most young Channels still have the spots and anglers think they're two different species. Check out pics of the anal fin on Blue Cats and you won't get confused between them.

5. JUSTCRAZY

JUSTCRAZY Wurlds Wurst Spellor

There are some big channel cats in that lake. I've seen a 16 and 12lb come from it. But with dad and I fishing it for the last 3 or 4 years we have never been able to consistantly catch big fish. The 1-5 lb fish is easy to find almost anywhere in the lake. And the different types of baits that are sucessful vary from angler to angler. We have been sucessful with everything from cut bait, to shrimp, to liver(well maybe not me!). Just keep moving around because they are everywhere.
    The one thing that I will say is that we have done some of our best catching by breaking every catfish rule there is. Daylight always seems to be best, fish water as shallow as 4ft, even on days up into the 90's. Have fun!