close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tanners Creek

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by metalman, Jan 26, 2005.

1. metalman

metalman Not So Junior Member

Hello,
    Does anyone know if Tanners Creek ramp is usable or if the creek is iced up? Thanks...W

2. I would like to know also,got to go somewhere this weekend.Daryl just checked the weather :( don't look good for the weekend

3. Yes the ramp is usable and yes the creek is frozen over. With the predicted 40 degree temps forecasted for Tuesday I dug my boat out of the snow and headed for Tanners Creek. The parking lot was clear and the ramp had a light coating of slimy mud but very little debris. The creek was frozen over but someone had already broken a channel out to the river. The open area had filled back in with broken ice but it was loose and easily cleared by my boat. It was a little loud but didn't appear to cause any damage, but then I don't worry too much about my boat. The broken ice averaged about 1" thick. I cleared the ice between the last bridge and the mouth of the creek and headed for the river.

At the time, the river was just below 35 feet and dropping slowly. It didn't look too bad with some scattered small debris and the occasional log. The water temp was just over 37 degrees.

I did manage a few bites, but no hookups, on frozen skipjacks. Frozen shad did nothing. It was nice to be out for the afternoon and the weatherman later said it got up to 47 degrees. I saw one other boat run downriver with some duck hunters and on my way back in a boat came out of the creek. I think he was one of the commercial fisherman who work the area but they were actually hauling a picnic table on the boat.

If you decide to go out you may want to take a snow shovel with you. I had one and used it to scrape some of the mud away at the water's edge. I also used it to slosh some water up on the ramp to rinse of an area to stand on to try to keep some of the mud out of the boat.

4. metalman

metalman Not So Junior Member