Tankless water heaters

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lundy, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Anyone have any experience with tankless water heaters?

2. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

I know they are fairly pricy. My friend bought one years ago and got good service out of it until it broke down. Parts were real hard to get and had to go without hotwater for over a week until they came in. Things may be different now since they are getting more popular but I would check on parts availability.
    Ready to start chasing those toothy critters?

3. true2plue

true2plue TEAM BATO!!

My brother bought one a few months ago (Bosch)...with school and other hobbies, he still hasn't found the time to install it. Only negative feedback is the price. It will pay for itself in a short period of time, and some make/models include federal tax breaks.:)

4. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

We have a Rinnai R85 tankless. We have 8 people living here and 10 on weekends. We have 4 bathrooms with showers and people taking them, almost nonstop, from 5am till about 7:30 every morning. Not to mention all the laundry, every day, and the dishwasher. If we didn't have this type of heater we would probably need Two 40 gal. tanks to meet the demand. The Rinnai cost about $1100 installed and uses about 30% of the gas that Two 40 gallon tanks. These things are great. You never are out of hot water and you never heat water unless you are using it. Even if I were single and living alone I would have one, albiet much smaller in size, instead of a tank heater. I guess you can say that I would recommend them.
    I don't know where you are located but you can PM me if you would like to come by and see how mine is set-up.
    Oh yeah, it heats all that water, hangs on the wall out of the way, never gets hot on the outside, and is about the size of my Musky box. ;)

5. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

With the research I've done Rinnai is the way I will go.

$1100 installed?

How long ago and who did the install?

I got an installed price for an R75 for $2300 today.

Any members out there that are Rinnai dealers and want some business?

6. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

Installed October 07. The price of the unit was eight hundred and something. The $1100 included removal of an existing 50 gal. tank heater that was in the house when I bought it. The plumber that sold and installed it does a fair amount of work for us and gave us a deal but not so much a deal to justify a cost difference like that. I will call my Plumber tomorrow and ask what he would typically charge for a 75 installed. I will PM you.

7. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

A 75 or an 85

I would pay him extra just to drive to Grove City if he is interested.

Thanks!!

8. alan farver

alan farver purple raiders softball

put one in jan 08.this works awesome.has ajustable water setting up to 180 deg.got it at home depot cost about $1000.00 and you have to buy the stainless vent kit it was $300.installed it myself pretty easy to do.ours had to be mounted on an outside wall.not sure why but that is what it said.also had to switch the gas line from3/4"to 1"