close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tankless Water heaters (Gas)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fish_Heads, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Fish_Heads

Fish_Heads Never enough time......

Who has one ??

Likes / Dislikes ?

How long do you wait for hot water ?

I need to upgrade my water heater this summer (2 teens......... long showers = no water left for me !)

Any brands to stay away from ?

I’m looking for a electronic ignition model with no standing pilot.

Need a size recommendation for a 2 1/2 bath house, for use where 2 showers will be on at the same time.

Thanks in advance !

2. I installed a Bosch 125 FX at my cabin and love it. This is great for 1 shower and a dishwasher or wash machine at the same time. Never ran cold on us yet!!

3. I put one in a few years ago. I like it for the most part, gas bill went down a little.
    If I had it to do over I would get a bigger one (BTU), in the dead of winter mine only gets the water up to about 11o deg.
    If I had the money I would put one of those 5 gal elec. water heaters in line after the on demand. It does take a few (10-30)sec more to get the hot water but once you get it its hot forever. if you turn it off for a second than turn it back on you get a cold spot for a few seconds. Putting the 5 gal hot water heater in line would prevent this I would think.
    In fact I'm filling my Hot Tub as I type with hot water, cheaper than heating the cold with the Hot Tub Heater.

Get one you'll love it, just listen to everyone Else's mistakes.

4. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

They recommend that if you will be pushing your unit to capicity that you do just that. Add a gas or electric pony tank in line after the on demand unit.
    We have a large Rinnai tankless and have had no problems with capicity or tempture loss. People need to realize that the water volume output is no different on these units than standard tanks. You can no more have three showers going at once with one of these than you can with a standard tank type heater. These just provide an endless supply, not increased volume. And, of course, you are not heating water when you are not needing it.
    One thing we did find out with ours is that with all the safety components within these units gas pressure is critical! Verify that your existing gas service and regulator can sustain the addition of the BTU load that these units require. They have little tolerance for pressure drop and will shut down within about a one inch water column fluctuation. And when they shut down you do NOT get a gradual reduction in shower temp (only happens when your in the shower) it's freakin immediate.:eek: