Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Just some guy
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rain didn't seem to affect much; water level was normal & with the polarized glasses I could still see almost everything. I was on the shore - threw a couple different grubs, silver rapala & B Craw, right in the rolling dam, just after it, 100 feet downstream, 200 feet down, nothing. I couldn't even see any fish except a couple carp. Just as I was about to give up (6:15 - retrieving very fast at this point), about at 200 feet downstream, I pulled up a tiny sm on the craw. About 3 casts later, a decent one (10"-12"). Then nothing for the next 10 minutes. They might have been turning on if I had waded & moved around, but I had to get going.

·
Banned
798 Posts
some nights are just like that. Looks like perfect conditions, and no fish. Keep at them, you'll have those off nights.

btw. don't be shocked if the location police hop on this thread like butter on bread.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
btw. don't be shocked if the location police hop on this thread like butter on bread.
don't be shocked if they don't take the bait.you complained about them hijacking your thread,so don't do the same here,just to stir the pot.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,188 Posts
Rain didn't seem to affect much; water level was normal & with the polarized glasses I could still see almost everything. I was on the shore - threw a couple different grubs, silver rapala & B Craw, right in the rolling dam, just after it, 100 feet downstream, 200 feet down, nothing. I couldn't even see any fish except a couple carp. Just as I was about to give up (6:15 - retrieving very fast at this point), about at 200 feet downstream, I pulled up a tiny sm on the craw. About 3 casts later, a decent one (10"-12"). Then nothing for the next 10 minutes. They might have been turning on if I had waded & moved around, but I had to get going.
I've had those days. Here is a worse deal. I had about 4 hours to kill right in the middle of the day last summer. So, I was anxious to fish my favorite flow as it had been several weeks since I hit it. No time for loading and dealing with my canoe so I head out with plans to wet wade and fish. Now, my expectations were low since it was mid day, hot July and blue bird skies. I arrive and BAM........first cast was a 12" smallie. Second cast BAM..... 13" smallie. Third cast BAM...........fish on, but it jumped and got off. Fouth cast BAM.........nice 12"r. So, I am thinking, "Oh yeah, it's on now!" I proceeded to fish another 1 1/2 miles and 2 hours and didn't get another bite? lol

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
That's fishing for ya bud! Thank you for not sharing exact details....although you are obviously dismayed with this spot's performance...lol.

·
Just some guy
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh I wouldn't say I'm dismayed. It's not the best spot but it's literally right on the way home from work so I often stop there for a quick throw in. I just wanted to share the water conditions in case anyone was thinking of going out later that eve. I was surprised at how clear it was.
And with my level of knowledge & experience (only 2 years in), many of my days are about like that. Catching a couple is just dandy in my opinion. I learn something new every time. I read these posts about catching 40, 50 or even 100 and yeah, that would be pretty amazing, but I just treat that as fantasy land at this point in my "career". Plus a lot of those posts seem more like bragging than water condition/fishing reports. Don't get me wrong on that last point; I'm not a fan of a bunch of different posting categories; I think posting everything in one forum makes more sense, bragging or reports or questions or whatever.

·
Banned
790 Posts
Thank you Rick for pointing out the hypocrasy.

JHeieter, in an effort to be kind, please see my "? for catfish guys" thread.
*hint* I'm guessing we were quite close in proximity. Close like our boots would have stunk of the same water.

I was fishing super, super, slowly. Like throw it out, let it sit, let it sit...and then a gentle kind of "drag" along the bottom.
Quite honestly, I have no idea if the smallies actually thought it was a baby catfish or not, but it was far and away out producing everything else last night.

·
1,319 Posts
Typically bass don't go after catfish because of the catfish's spines. There was a study that was in an infisherman article that showed when a bass attacks and tries to eat a catfish, about 80% of the time the bass will spit out the catfish and the catfish will get away unharmed. The bait may have been mimicking some kind of darter or other type of forage fish.

·
Just some guy
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow that's interesting - thanks Andy. That makes me want to hit Dick's after work. You're onto something.

·
Banned
790 Posts
Typically bass don't go after catfish because of the catfish's spines. There was a study that was in an infisherman article that showed when a bass attacks and tries to eat a catfish,....
So they do or do not go after catfish?
They spit out is of little concern, the going after is what I'm looking for.

Like I said, I have no idea what they thought it was. I know I was in a catfish area having little luck, and when I begun to mimick a baby catfish with my bait, the fishing dramtically improved.

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
No, bass do not normally go after catfish in the wild.
I don't understand. Do they only while in captivity? Did pollingreport do an extensive survey on all Central Ohio basses?

On a more serious note, there indeed are specialized baits that look like tiny catfish and madtoms for smallie fishing. I have found them at R and R, gander, etc. They will pound a baby catfish lure without hesitation in the correct conditions, I can promise you that.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
if you put a bunch of 1 to 2 inch catfish within reach of a smallmouth,you can bet their life is in serious danger;)

·
Banned
790 Posts
I've seen smallies try to eat fish larger than their own bodies, chow down baby ducks, snakes...so it's hard for me to wrap my head around the idea that they would not go after a 2" catfish fry.
I aint doubting, just skeptical and confused.

I've had a couple of pretty smart dudes pimping the virtues of throwing mad toms to me. Whether or not the fish think it's a catfish, there's soemthing about that profile that fires them up every so often.

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
I love the madtom baits, its my goto lure when everything fails. Case makes the best ones I've tried. I did an informal study this year with baby cats, got some from a bait store for free, the 10" SM in my 150 gallon tank did more than spit them out, he must have forgot the last step, all 14 made it about 4 minutes.

·
Just some guy
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where did you guys get those? I tried Dick's tonight & they didn't have them. I ended up getting some gobies the same size & color, just to see what they'd do but they just don't have that cat look to them.

I tried them tonight, but I don't think the spot was right even if I had the madtoms. Plus I tried spinners, grubs, rapalas, craws & even roostertails and got skunked. Didn't feel right tonight; cold front I think.

·
1,319 Posts
The study that I was talking about was in the June/July 2007 issue of Infisherman found on p.18. Bishop Bosher and other researchers from Virginia Commonwealth University studied how the pectoral spines of the channel catfish influence the feeding habits of bass. They placed 2 to 4 lb bass singly in aquariums and added pairs of channel cats 4 to 8 inches long. One pair of the catfish had their spines intact and the others were clipped. Despite being sucked into the mouth of a bass, 88 percent of intact catfish were not eaten and survived the encounter (with spines). Sometimes a bass would attack an intact catfish multiple times and even kill it without eating it. (But keep in mind that this was a controlled setting and the fish were intentionally kept hungry.)

Yes the size of the catfish is a determining factor, a Smallmouth bass will attack any thing that it think it can eat, I was just simply stating that Smallmouth don't NORMALLY target small CHANNEL catfish (+4 inches) that's all (but yes they do target madtoms as a food source.) If you were fishing with some channel catfish fry that were 1 to 2 inches long, then yes they would be in danger due to their spines really not being big enough to be an effective defense. What I had stated earlier did bring up some confusion because I wasn't specific enough and I apologize for that. Hopefully this will clear things up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts