close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Talking Schrooms

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by c. j. stone, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Any body ever try to grow their own mushrooms? I got a couple cards in a sportsman's card pack from NA Hunter magazine where they are selling grow at/IN home kits-shitake, pleurotus, hericium, reishi, oyster, and even MORELS!! Just wondering if these are worthwhile?
    (The morels were for outdoors in you back yard.)

2. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

ive tried the oyster (pleurotus) kits before, its pretty cool if youre into shrooms. shop around, theres grow kits for sale all over the net.

if i did it again id try shiitake or something else thats not so common in the NE ohio woods like the oysters.

good luck if you try it, its definitely pretty cool. unusual.

3. I've read up on them on the mushroom forums & the oysters seem to work good. Haven't heard of any real success with kits for morels or hericium. I got the same cards in the mail. I'll stick to going out & looking for them.

4. hardwaterfan

if you do get an oyster kit and ever have any questions let me know, id be glad to help.

i think it was about a year and a half ago when i did it, i got two different types of oyster. one was blue oyster and one was pearl oyster.

i used my seedling starter frame that i made to make a humidity tent out of plastic.

thats the trick, to keep the bags and the mushrooms damp. but at the same time, they need fresh air. so you have to spray them a lot with water. its easier to give them fresh air than it is to keep them damp.

Attached Files:

5. hardwaterfan

after a while you get this:

Attached Files:

6. hardwaterfan

blue oyster

Attached Files:

7. hardwaterfan

pearl oyster, you can see a lot of what they call "pins" that never developed, i guess thats normal.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  8. hardwaterfan

pearl oyster, another shot

Attached Files: