close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Taking your boat out

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by jaredj, Feb 15, 2005.

1. When do you usally start to take your boat out on the water? I see that Griggs has no more ice,

2. As soon as the ice is gone. Saugeye time. :)

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i never quit.just take a break when there's too much ice to break :D ;)

4. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

jared...if you're hittin griggs, be careful. I put mine in last feb when the ice melted, and slammed a submerged ice block while on plane down there.

5. I go normally as soon as the ice is gone. Watch the early mornings though early in the year because ice films do develop overnight. The weirdest thing I've experienced was going out across berlin lake and coming off plane by 224 only to set down perfectly timed into a very thin film of ice. It was kinda eery and made the weirdest sounds. I backed the boat up and went back to the ramp.

6. Tee

Tee Team OGF

Yes, BE CAREFUL this time of year. The water is cold and one slip up and you could be in very cold water! Not a good way to start off the fishing season. Wear you life jacket at all times.

7. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

That same day I whacked the ice, my FIL fell in (he missed his step getting into the boat from the dock and went completely under) in 39 degree water. Dude is lucky to be alive.

8. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

as soon as the ice is gone i will start going out. I am taking the weekend off to work on my boat and get it ready.

9. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Ice Out at Portage Lakes------BIG BASS TIME------I need not say more!!!!

10. ncraft hit it right on the nose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

Iv'e broke threw 1/4 -1/2 inch of ice to get to the fish many of times. Sounds like it's tearing your boat apart but Iv't done it for years with my fiberglass Ranger and there isn't a mark. I bought my boat to fish anyway not to look pretty.

12. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Good points about the safety and being careful. That cold water can be dangerous. One other thing to remember is after your done store your outboard in the upright position. They are designed to drain all excess water. If you don't and the water still in the motor freezes you might crack something!!!

13. I say, March & April is BIGUNTIME!! I've had HUGE days bass fishing Ohio where it seems too cold. Get out there, safety first, dress warm.

14. Freeze

Freeze Cisco Kid

Interesting hearing you guys say you catch bass right after ice out. I sure would like too but never have any luck until the water gets 50 degrees or better. I fish Ceasars Creek which is a very deep lake and big by Ohio standards. I always start out with the usual places for early spring fishing, the shallow end of the lake, where creeks come in , old road beds etc etc. I fish plastic, jigs - other slow baits and just haven't had much luck.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should be looking for, like how deep? CC is over a 100ft deep in some places. Any help would be much appreciated - a Feb bass would sure hit the spot :D

Thanks,,,,

15. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Jerk baits. Vary the cadence till the bass tell you what they want. Looooooooong pauses. I've never fished Ceasers. Portage probably only averages 5' deep with a max of 40'.

16. I agree with jerkbaits... But also try Rat L Traps and a Bandit crankbait. I like the clear water until it gets into the mid 50's.

If you get a chance, pick up the BPS video, Larry Nixon's Tournament Tactics for Springtime Bass. You won't be disappointed.

17. bassteaser1

bassteaser1 Feared by all that swim

we were at Buckeye Lake a few years back after ice out fishin saugeyes from shore along a concrete wall and me and another guy caught a bass within 5 minutes of each other jiggin a twister and minnow right along the wall just goofin off becasue casting and retreiving wasn't working for saugeye.It suprised me,I usually don't start bass fishing either until about 50 degree water,A little cooler for smallies down deep

18. Freeze

Freeze Cisco Kid

Hey - thanks for the suggestions. My boat is in the shop getting spring service, as soon as we get another warm spell I'll be out there with the jerk baits - and maybe try some vertical jigging. Both sound promising, as I have used both technigues successfully at Dale Hollow in the early spring. Never thought about throwing a jerk bait up here for LM but it makes sense.

How do you guys work your jerk baits. For smallies I have found the best method to be leaving slack in the line, raising my rod tip way and and jerking straight down. This seems to work much better than sweeping the bait.

19. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

I had the same idea about 50 degrees as freeze did until I
    started catching bass on vibees while walleye fishing in 38
    degree water. I hit nimi last year when it was 44-46 degrees
    and did very well on rattletrap type baits and jerkbaits.

20. Maybe I'm an idiot, but how do you launch a boat w/out docks to walk out on to get truck to parking space? Do you just wear waterproof boots & hope not to get drenched?

Thanks,

Jeff
    [​IMG]