close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Taking Father-in-law bass fishing...where to go?

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Rainer Wolf, Oct 14, 2004.

1. He lives in Youngstown. I'd be happy to try one of the great Akron area lakes, as I've heard rumors how awesome they can be for bass. I think I'd like to choose either Mogadore, Nimisila, or Ladue. I have a big 18+Jon boat with a 9.9hp outboard. Dad can't swim, so I shy away from the bigger lakes like Milton or Berlin. Anyhoo, which should I try for October 26th bass fishing? thanks for any help.

2. Sounds like a good time to me, Mogadore is a very good lake I have a small john boat out there when I cannot get out on the big lake (like the next 5 days) but the lake is electric motors only and so is Ladue. I personally like Ladue better for bass and Modadore for panfish. You might want to try West Branch because that is right up the street from you on Rt 5 you can use your motor there and fishing the coves this time of the year should be productive also stand a chance of catching a Muskie or Stripper.

BLUGILL

3. I think it's electric only also. The Portage lakes can be quite productive now also!

4. Flipp

Flipp Bass Chaser

I second portage for bassin right now throw jerkbaits and little crankbaits around the weeds. And if the docks are still in the water try some of them.

Good luck where ever you go.

5. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I am partial to pymatuming...but that lake is bad if windy...I third portages lakes if you head this way.

6. Ivan

Ivan Cigar a-fish-ianado

I'll second JB's Pymatuning suggestion. Excellent lake and since the water is cooling down you never know what you may hook into.

7. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

LaDue is down close to 6 feet and Bassin is really tough there this time of year unless you know where the deeper structure is. I'd have to say one of the Portage lakes would be your best bet, I'd lean toward Nimisila it's been hot lately. You can have a gas motor there, just make sure it's tilted out of the water.

8. thx guys. So, now i guess it's between PortageLakes and Nimi...I'd really like to check all those lakes out in the years to come...I'm from Columbus but I always love taking boat up to Ytown for trips with Dad-In-Law...he really needs it usually

9. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Yup, the portage lakes are the way to go. It is many lakes, 10 or so, and most of them are interconnected through channels. There are many docks and all kinds of structure. They can be a little busy at times, but I bet this time of year, most of the pleasure boaters are done. You should be fine.

1 other possiblity is Springfield lake, at 224 and 91. It is 200 acres and has real good bass in it. It is a gas lake, with 2 ramps. 1 pay and 1 free.

Long Lake is the only other lake up your alley that I'd reccommend. It is considered part of the PL but is it stand alone. It is about 160 acres or so and has really neat channels to fish. It offers more solitude than the above selections. Big bass too. Big Daddy will trumpet the hawgs in there!

All these lakes you can run a 9.9 on.

10. Hey Rainer,
    My vote would be for Nimisila ! Nimi is hot right now. My partner & I finished in 2nd place on Nimi on Oct. 9th with almost 10lbs & we were still 7lbs behind. :eek: If you decide to go there, PM me & I'll let you know what worked for us.

11. TR20

TR20

Since you live in Youngstown, how about Girard Lake? The fishing there is great and its electric only.

12. TR20, Girard Lake is closed & has been all year. :(

13. AndroDoug,
    Long lake sounds like a possibility...how do i get there? Say, from south ave & 224? I feel like all the dad in law's daughters want me to possibly stay closer than akron or whatever. thank you all for your help.

14. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Take the Manchester road exit off of 224 in Akron and go south for only 1/4 mile or so. You will pass a small lake (Nesmith) and Carnegie ave on your right. There is a light at Carnegie. Go a few hundred feet farther and take a left on to Cove road (a real dinky looking road). The ramp is near the end of the road. Have fun!

If you are coming from Youngstown, I'd take 76 all the way into Akron and go south on 77 at the central interchange. After 2 miles or so, take 224 W off of 77 S. Another 2 or 3 miles, you'll see the Manchester road exit. Take a left to go south.

15. thanks a bunch for all the info. Still up in the air as to where to go sunday...the weather may be ugly. I wish there was somewhere closer to Youngstown. Too bad about Girard, after we fished there last year, it looked like we'd never need to look for another bass spot. Back to the drawing board.

16. Rainer, if your wanting to stay closer to Youngstown, you might want to try Deer Creek. It's only 45 min. from where your talking about ( Portage Lakes, Nimisila, & Long are all 1hour & 20 min. or better ). The bass in my avitar is from there.

17. that settles it, we'll go to deer creek. thanks again everyone foe the info.

18. well, it was a perfect day weatherwise to go out and fish and i got to look at the boat in the driveway. Father-in-law's dayghter's husband's grandfather passed away and calling hours were sunday. We plan to go next spring. Somethings are more important for sure. Thanks everyone. Tight lines.