close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Take care of the fish!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Big Daddy, Jul 27, 2005.

1. When practicing C & R, do it right. From ODNR...

ANGLERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO CATCH AND RELEASE PROPERLY

Hot weather adds stress to fish

AKRON, OH- With record setting temperatures happening through the month of July, the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife is urging anglers to practice proper catch and release tactics while they are fishing on Ohio’s lakes and rivers.

Matt Wolfe, Fisheries Biologist for the ODNR Division of Wildlife, explains how this summer’s heat spell has affected the fish. “With reservoir temperatures around 80 to 85 degrees, the fish are pushing the limits of their temperature tolerance. Add that to low dissolved oxygen levels and little to no water circulation, you can understand why it is so important to treat any caught fish with care.” Larger fish are affected more easily by increased stressors, so it is important to treat these fish with extreme care if you are practicing catch and release. “Having these fish caught later on in the year is a much better outcome than having it succumb to angling stress.” Wolfe added.

Anglers should practice catch and release techniques when a fish is not of legal size, is required to be released due to regulations, or will not be consumed. A hooked fish should be reeled in as quickly as possible to minimize stress. Handle your catch carefully with a wet hand or wet towel to ensure that the protective slime coat is not removed from its body. Try to minimize exposure to the air and avoid the gill area if at all possible. If the fish is hooked deeply and the hook cannot be removed easily, cut the line to release the fish. A freshwater hook will corrode in just a few days and eventually exit on its own. If a fish has been exhausted during the process, anglers are urged to revive it buy gliding the fish forward through the water. This runs fresh, oxygenated water through the gills. Tournament anglers should introduce a small amount of ice to their live well to keep the water cool and frequently circulate the water to keep oxygen at an appropriate level.

2. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

"If the fish is hooked deeply and the hook cannot be removed easily, cut the line to release the fish. A freshwater hook will corrode in just a few days and eventually exit on its own."

I don't doubt that this is basically true, but I wonder if there are any definitive mortality rates on fish that have the hooks left in them. I have to say that I once caught a good size bass that was in the process of excreting about six inches of fishing line. I imagine that the hook was on the other end. Still, it turns my stomach to turn a fish loose with a razor sharp Owner hook tearing its guts up. Most of us bass fisherman probably gut hook a fish while using plastics. I have had surprizing success with this technique:

If the hook is up near the top of the gullet, try sliding the plastic up and then clipping off the line. If the hook is too deep you have to let the fish go at this point. If you can still see the bend of the hook and where the hook is poking through the flesh of the gullet, grasp it with a pair of forceps (I always keep a pair handy) near the top of the shank. Carefully push it forward instead of pulling on it or twisting it. The natural motion of this maneuver will push the round bend of the hook toward the gill area, and you can guide it out through the gills. If you are steady, and the fish is of decent size, you can do this without even touching the gills. Now the hook will be on the outside of the fish, and you can gently open the forceps and let the hook drop free. Carefully remove the forceps and avoid touching the gills. It sounds complicated, but you really can do all this in much less than a minute. I have done it where the fish has hardly bled, and it has bolted away as soon as I released it.

3. In fisherman did two articles last year regarding a mortality study as well as how to remove hooks that are quite deep. Hook removal is done through the gill area and I have used it and can say it works quite well. Unless the hook is completely out of site it can be readily removed using the method escribed and illustrated in the In Fisherman article. Hook style as well as location has a lot to do with mortality as it often blocks the throat area and prevents the fish from swallowing or can also prevent ejection of baitfish that are too large to pass due to the hook position.