close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tails for sale.

Discussion in 'OGF Marketplace' started by TomC, Jan 17, 2008.

1. TomC

TomC

0   0   0

I am in the process of packing up my garage and came across these tails ive been saving, I thought about getting into flyfishing and tying. Well im moving and want to get them out. Ill take 20 bucks em if your in the dayton area or 20 plus the cost of shipping if you live out side the dayton area.

(1) 10" grey squirrel tail
    (2) buck tails
    (1) being 11 inches
    (1) being 13 inches and really thick.

(9) Pheasants
    (5) have tails that have feathers exceding 16 inches in length.
    (4) have tails around 14"

2. snake69

snake69 Equal opportunity fishing

0   0   0

If you send so many squirrel tails to Mepps they will in return send you lures/in-line spinners, I believe. I could look up the ph number for you tonight when I get in from work if ya want...

3. TomC

TomC

0   0   0

Sure why not, wonder if they could use the rest?????

4. All Eyes

All Eyes

0   0   0

Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here, but isn't selling tail illegal? :p

5. dtigers1984

dtigers1984

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Last I knew Mepps did buy squirrel tails but paid almost nothing for them. Maybe a dime a piece.

6. snake69

0   0   0

And I plum forgot to look it up until I reread this post. It's in one of my fishing mags, the offer for "tails for lures". Only working 8 today, so maybe I can remember to look it up. Just glanced thru their catalog and can find no mention of it there............................I apologize!

7. bkr43050

bkr43050

0   0   0

I looked at the Mepps web site and found their tail program listed. Here is a link to it.

Mepps Squirrel Tail Recycle Program

It looks like they will give $.16/each unless you have a large quantity. It is still better than nothing I guess if you have some collected. I don't know that it would justify shipping the quantity that you have though.

8. snake69

0   0   0

Thanks bkr.... I couldn't find the right magazine. I'm thinking maybe Ohio Fish & Game, but now don't need to keep lookin'. I was thinking it was 3 tails for 1 lure. Either way, if ya have no other use for them, it might be worth it.

9. PhattyB

PhattyB

0   0   0

http://www.mepps.com/squirrel_tail_program/

Be sure to follow their directions. In 2003, I sent them 50 tails that I removed from the bone (which I thought was the proper thing to prevent rot). They returned them to me stating they had no value.

Since then, I've sent them over 100 tails per year and get about a dozen trout spinners (Don't worry, no overharvesting here. Kill 100/year and still have about 3 per acre)

Quoted directly from Mepp's. I'm sure most men would disagree :D

10. bkr43050

bkr43050

0   0   0

You will notice in the link above that you can double your money by putting it back in to lures from their catalog. I just thought I would mention that as it would make the most sense to do it that way if you buy their lures anyway.