Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how everyone determines their tactics based on time of year. Seems to me like everyone vertical jigs in early spring, then moves to trolling/casting spoons, erie dearie types, cranks, or bottom bouncers from there on out. Always thought it odd that there is the "shift" in tactics. I personally don't like trolling so I drift and cast/ bottom bounce. Wanting to get up a little earlier this year but wondered why everyone jigs then.

Any particular reasoning for everyone behind that "trend" of tactics at each different time of year?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Just as the walleye behaviors and location change that’s what you do, in spring they are on the reefs spawning so you use your hair jigs to catch the males off of the reefs, if you want to catch big females typically you have to troll for them that time of year, i do a mixture of everything a lot of trolling but I mix it all in depending on how I want to fish that particular day

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Just curious how everyone determines their tactics based on time of year. Seems to me like everyone vertical jigs in early spring, then moves to trolling/casting spoons, erie dearie types, cranks, or bottom bouncers from there on out. Always thought it odd that there is the "shift" in tactics. I personally don't like trolling so I drift and cast/ bottom bounce. Wanting to get up a little earlier this year but wondered why everyone jigs then.

Any particular reasoning for everyone behind that "trend" of tactics at each different time of year?
Vertical jigging works well in April and early May due to the concentrations of (mostly Male) walleyes on the reef complex and nearby shallower waters. It’s not as effective as walleyes disperse and suspend and roam while feeding on suspended bait. Same reason why trolling cranks produces big females in March/April near the reefs. They are there to spawn. The females tend to stay a shorter period of time. Casting or trolling work better as the season progresses. Again the walleye are suspended so the presentation needs to be at the correct depth

·
WALLEYE, SMALLMOUTH, LARGEMOUTH, PERCH, BLUEGILL
242 Posts
If you enjoy rod in hand when a fish hits, the late March to mid May walleye jig bite in the western basin is hard to beat. Millions of fish in shallow water. Drift across a reef with your jig of choice. I prefer blade baits and also use hair jigs. Usually starts as the water nears 40 degrees.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have got them jigging sonars right after ice out. Also anchor doing ice fishing tactics using jigging rapalas or pimples. Look for clear water near river mouths. The fish will be staging to run up the river.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts