Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Big Jiggin
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on the tips forum i thought it was illegal to do , or am i wrong?????????

After I catch that first fish I take a small hook and run it through the dorsal fin. Then I take a bobber with ten or fifteen foot of line and turn it loose. The trick here is that*usually*the fish goes right back to it’s school. Now that you have found the fish, you have to stay at that exact depth to continuously bring fish back to the boat

MAC

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Illegal in Ohio. That would be considered "Tagging" a Fish, I'm sure. Sounds a little cruel if the Fish gets away - since the line would get wrapped up on something eventually.

·
Big Jiggin
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what i was thinkn. I figure not many states allow that method. HOwd you like to catch that up in your prop??

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thats what i was thinkn. I figure not many states allow that method. HOwd you like to catch that up in your prop??
Friends trolling motor quit working at alum a couple months ago. When we tore it apart before the next trip it was packed with fishing line. Even with the fishing line all removed and everything cleaned the damage was done and the motor still didnt work.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
A better method would be to just put the fish back still attached to you rod line and watch were the bobber goes. Then bring it back in and fish the spot he went to.

Maybe one of ODNR folks on the site could chime in on the legality.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Friends trolling motor quit working at alum a couple months ago. When we tore it apart before the next trip it was packed with fishing line. Even with the fishing line all removed and everything cleaned the damage was done and the motor still didnt work.
Overload on the shaft torque probably ruined the electronics in the motor.
I wish the manufactures would come out with some sort of overload protection.

Then the fix after a line snag clean off would just be to replace the cut shaft seal.

·
Big Jiggin
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had the same thing had to replace shaft seal. Dont throw my cut line in the water since then. Never thought about it till it happen.

·
BASS prodigy
1,188 Posts
You gotta have more respect to fish than puttin a hook in its fin to catch more fish in the end. I always thought this "tip" was a little cruel. Almost any electronic now has waypoint markers, just use those.
Kyle
HPT
CP

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Ive got the best method ever for ya..... cast back to the same spot you caught the last one.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Saw this on the tips forum i thought it was illegal to do , or am i wrong?????????
You are wrong.

That story about attaching a string & bobber (formerly a small balloon) seems to resurface every now and then like the barrels in Jaws. Although the hapless scout fish is usually a white bass and not a crappie. :F

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
we used to do that to catfish at payponds to locate where schools of channel cats were, or where the bigger fish head to once they have been caught and released. the hooks we used were very small and were hooked in the fatty tissue on the back and so light that the slightest tug would rip out the hook and line. once we were done observing one of us would cast into the float/line and give it a big yank to get it back.

of course this didnt work if the pond was small or there were a lot of people fishing that could get tangled.

i like the idea of just leaving the hook in the fish after catching and letting it just swim around.... ;)

·
Registered
558 Posts
You are wrong.

That story about attaching a string & bobber (formerly a small balloon) seems to resurface every now and then like the barrels in Jaws. Although the hapless scout fish is usually a white bass and not a crappie. :F
your kind of wrong too, because the fish needs to be legal size if a size limit is on the fish. It would be the same rules as jugging for cats I would think???

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
It MIGHT fall under the category of “tagging” a fish, which is illegal. That’s the only law that I can think of that might apply, but I’m not sure if it would or not.

·
youngin'
38 Posts
Might be tagging.But really the fish will ought be fine since the hooks rust out in a matter of days as long as you don't hook them in a bad spot then i don't see a problem with it.Or you could just throw your line out to the same spot you caught it that works too;)

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
personally, I would think you would have to be pretty desperate to fish like this. If I felt that much pressure to catch a bunch of fish, I'd take up golf.

·
Registered
558 Posts
personally, I would think you would have to be pretty desperate to fish like this. If I felt that much pressure to catch a bunch of fish, I'd take up golf.
A great Summer time method if want to keep up with the crappie, its a great way to stay on good size fish since crappie tend to school with fish of the same size!

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
A great Summer time method if want to keep up with the crappie, its a great way to stay on good size fish since crappie tend to school with fish of the same size!
I just don't find summer crappie all that hard to catch. They cretainly aren't any harder than spring when you deal with cold/warm fronts, floods, spawn...
Its like buckzye11 said, cast back to the same spot and catch another 1

·
always bumpin
636 Posts
ive never done it nor do i do much crappie fishing. but it seems like a pretty smart idea to me. as long as its legal . and you retrieve the hook line and bobber from the fish once you are done . and on the other hand as mentioned below the fish can get tangled on something, and if you dont retrieve the line it can get tangled in props.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts