Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello OGF,

I thought it might be fun (and I could be very wrong) to throw out a scenario to see how each angler would approach fishing for that day. The more I read and listen to podcasts, the more I realize how different each angler responds to a scenario. So here it is, hopefully this will be a nice conversation starter.

Lake: Long Narrow Reservoir
Depth: Max 20 feet | Min 3 Feet
Primary Forage: Shad
Cover: Mostly wood and fallen timber, some bridges and a few old docks
Weather: The week leading up has been hot and clear, but the day before a storm pushes through and the day of fishing is overcast with a cold front moving in.
Water Level: Rising
Water Clarity: Stained
Season: Summer

Scenario: While prefishing the week before the weather was nice and most of the fish were suspending in that 5-10 foot range. The water was clear and most fish were being caught on spinnerbaits and cranks. You ended up catching over 7 fish that day that would of been keepers.

The day of fishing is an overcast day with a cold front pushing through. Your honey holes aren't hitting like they were when you pre-fished and you only have one keeper in the boat. You have 2 hours left to fish (3pm weigh in).

How will you approach the last 2 hours to at least get one more kicker in the boat?

Happy Fishing

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At least you replied lol..dynamite is acceptable in this scenario.

Some pros would say they would change nothing while other do a complete overhaul. It's interesting to me that with fishing it seems like no two anglers approach a scenario the same.

I think I would continue to work my strengths, start hitting any points and possible look for some deeper water to see if they are tight to cover.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Buckeye I like your thoughts. Would that be fishing your strengths or going away from what you normally throw?

·
Micropterus dolomieu
753 Posts
Throw a jig a soft plastic trailer (black, green pumpkin) on the shore wood. Also use a square bill crank bait near the wood/docks in depths up to 5 feet.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
This...

this is what I'm normally throwing though. If the cover is really thick, I may add flipping it with a smaller profile creature bait or tube.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I would switch to flipping cover along the shoreline. I'd also downsize. After a cold front fish move tight to cover so you would need to really fish it, not around it but in the thick of it. This is definitely a strength for me. Deep water is one of my weaker skills.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
With the scenario you presented, that must have been one heck of a storm as far as rainfall goes, if it changed water clarity that much, overnight. Since your description of where you had been catching fish is kind of limited, (you didn't mention what you were catching them off of, or what other presentations you may have tried on your primary spots) and a little confusing (the fish were suspended in 5 - 10' of water?) I guess I'd do what everyone else has already said. Head for shallow cover. If the sun had started coming out I'd fish the jigs and soft plastics that have been mentioned..... if it was still overcast, I love the idea already presented, of the square bill in shallow wood cover.

I love the idea behind the original post though. It's not a slam against the OP...... it's just that the scenario is kind of vague. Great idea for a post though.

I misunderstood the original post. The water clarity evidently didn't change. I'd stay with the deep fish.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
@bassbme thanks for replying and I appreciate the positive feedback. I'll make sure on the next one to be a bit more specific in the scenario. The scenario was pre-fishing the week before, not the day before; sorry I wasn't more clear on that.

Again, thanks everyone for the replies. Bass fishing is something that really interests me and everyday I learn more about how anglers respond differently to the same scenario.

Hope everyone's week is going well. Hoping that the weather this weekend will lead to a great day of fishing.

Jason

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I was thinking of starting a series of posts along this line. And maybe now you have inspired me to go ahead and finally do it. But I won't hijack your thread!

I would throw a white spinnerbait and maybe a weedless jig (experimenting with colors until I found something that worked) along the shore line. If that didn't produce much I would head for deeper water searching for baitfish and throw deep diving crank and shad colors.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@yakfish

Hey no worries ;) I think itd be really great to see other members contribute scenarios, as well as going after different species. I'm still new to all this and have limited knowledge on anything other than bass.

I like your thinking on what you would throw. Would that still be working your strengths or going out of your comfort zone?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
@yakfish

Hey no worries ;) I think itd be really great to see other members contribute scenarios, as well as going after different species. I'm still new to all this and have limited knowledge on anything other than bass.

I like your thinking on what you would throw. Would that still be working your strengths or going out of your comfort zone?

I think I'll wait on my thread and see how this one goes before I post mine.

The spinnerbait is my #1 confidence lure, it is very versatile and can be used in a number of varying conditions and situations. I'm not quite as proficient with Weedless jigs but they have their place. I feel nearly the same with crank baits as I do about spinnerbaits. I would be within my comfort zone with these presentations with maybe the exception of the weedless jig but I like using them more so I can get more comfortable with them.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I would love to see more threads like this. I think it's a great idea and could lead to some very interesting ideas that some of us may not think about. I wouldn't even mind contributing a scenario or two.

As far as the current scenario in play ..... I will expand what my take on it is. First I'll assume that the fish were relating to the bottom and not suspended off structure. If the fish that were mentioned as being in 10' of water were relating to the bottom I would have to assume they were relating to some kind of cover or specific spots on structure. If wind conditions allowed me to fish those deeper fish with a finesse presentation, I wouldn't leave those fish to go look for fish in shallow water. The overcast conditions would probably make fishing spots in deeper water more difficult because the sun wouldn't have them as tightly grouped, but going off the scenario presented, search baits weren't getting the job done. Or at least not power search baits.

I'd have 5 rods out. For finesse presentations I'd have one with a shaky head on it, one with a drop shot, and the other with a weighted flick shake jig. The other two rods would have search baits on them. One would have a heavy football jig, and the other a Carolina rig. If I was seeing fish around balls of bait out off of structure I may even try an Alabama rig or a rattle style bait counted down to the depth the bait fish are holding. I'd much rather go after fish relating to the bottom though. And I like fishing deeper water off shore. The fish don't see as much pressure.

Of course my above answer is based on a good knowledge of the lake. If it were a lake I wasn't that familiar with, I would probably head to shallow water.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@yakfish Man, I wish I could say the same for myself when it comes to a spinner bait. I feel like I really need to get that lure down as I keep hearing how versatile it can really be. I think my problem is, I pick it up, throw it a few times and just put it right back down.

@bassbme The Shakey head is another bait I really want to get good with. I generally will throw a finesse worm or a trick worm with a light sliding weight and seem to have confidence in it. I bought some Spot Removers and Alien heads, but I still just don’t feel confident when I throw it. I think I just need to get out one day with only shakey heads in the boat so I have no other choice, but to get better at it.

I really appreciate everyone’s responses. It’s been a really good read and it makes me realize I still have a lot to learn. I think getting out on the water with each of you would be really beneficial as you all have provided some great knowledge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts