close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

T.V. fishing shows....or.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BottomBouncer, May 16, 2005.

1. infomercials???? Seems like every show I watch is more of a 1/2 hour or so sales speech for their sponsors. From the lure to the boat.....it's aggravating. If I wanna watch people fish.....I can do that on any lake or river around here and learn more than these guys show us.

I know the sponsors are paying the bills.........but how 'bout giving some tips or something? They hardly do that anymore. If they do it is in an unrealistic situation. How many of us are going to do a fly-in in Alaska or South America???

Anyone else feel this way??? Are there any good fishing shows???

They all seem to remind me of Banjo minnow or Flyin' Lure commercials!!!!!!!!!!

2. Television production of any quality is a VERY expensive proposition. You have production costs, you have travel costs, boats, tackle, labor costs, it's VERY expensive. I actually have looked into producing an outdoor show and without big bucks and/or equipment from sponsors or some investment group, quality shows don't happen. And when a company or companies put that much into it, darn right they're going to get their products pitched, and they should.

3. yeah but it only takes a couple secs to show how to rig something or use a bait. I think the Mark Sosin show is the only one I know of that gives tips or advice.........but that is 99% saltwater stuff.

4. Reel Man

Reel Man Member

I think In Fisherman and Bass University offer numerous tips for beginners to advanced fisherman.

5. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

You'll learn more right here in OGF than off most any TV show. Here you get you questions answered by guys fishing the same waters. Chances are you can meet up with them at times and maybe if you can't fish with them, at least they will give you some great tips. I couldn't begin to tell you how many guys I've fished with and several whom I haven't but we share tons of info in PM's back & forth.
    I used to watch the old Babe Winkelman & the In-Fisherman shows, they are nice, some of the videos will go into much more detail. It's all pretty basic stuff, enjoyable entertainment, you get the same info from the library or a magazine. Don't get me wrong, fun to watch, and I'd watch more if they were on here. There's a fishing show they run on PBS sometimes too.

6. The best fishing shows are the ones you learn from. In-Fisherman does a good job, but Linder's Angling Edge does the same. Personally, I like Linder's better, as I don't like the set stuff they do on In-Fish TV, the guys look like fish out of water standing at the set...

For pure entertainment, quality, and writing/production, I like Call of the Wild with Ron Schara. GREAT magazine format and excellent production quality and storytelling. May not learn much though, but entertaining.

Bill Dance Outdoors can give you tips, but I'd like to see him do shows on public waters a little more. He does sometimes.

I really don't like the "Amazon" fishing or the big "Mexico" bass lakes, as they're purely a commercial for whatever lodge or booking service they're using. Good pix most of the time, but you don't learn much.

There are some good shows out there, and some dogs for sure. My dream is to, someday, do a great show on Ohio fishing. It's out there...waiting...

7. I am with the others on this one,I have learned more from this site than any tv shows.InFisherman did put out some videos on catfishing that were good.