close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

T/C Omega Ammunition

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by Mushijobah, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Hey guys,

I recently bought this gun and was just wondering what bullet or bullet/sabbot combo you have had the most success with. I was considering Powerbelts, but they seem to go down the barrell too easily...is the spin affected by this lack of friction?

2. littleking

littleking Crossing Lines LIKE A PRO

conicals notoriously shoot bad out of t/c barrels....

try the shockwave 250gr backed by 100gr of triple7, as swollengoat can attest to, i was shooting sub 1" groups with this.

3. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I agree with others. Keep this real simple and you'll have good results.

250 gr shockwaves or SST's (same bullet), 100 gr (by VOLUME!)loose T7 or Pyrodex or 2, 50 gr pellets of either, winchester primer and you should be very good to go.

I would not shoot a powerbelt at a groundhog much less a deer. MY OPINION! I know there are bunches of happy powerbelt shooters, but.......

4. I own two Omegas, I bought the black and synthetic the year they came out and I just bought and set up a stainless/laminated one. Both have Nikons on the top and shoot very well.

First, throw the Powerbelts in the trash. They are nothing more than an old fashioned conical dressed up in new packaging. The "skirt" is nothing more than window dressing and does not provide a seal. The bullet itself is inherently inaccurte by its basic design. The bullet is designed to swell upon ignition to fill the bore and seal the propelling charges behind it. Upon swelling the bullet has a tendency to come off its axis and exit the bore as such.

What I have found to be the best charge/bullet combination is two triple 7 pellets (yes just 100 grains, my body will not take the recoil and it is not necessary) and a Barnes Spitfire MZ 285 grain boat tail bullet.

However this combination did not come easily, with any ML you need trial and error to develop the best load. Depending upon the size of the barrel and how over/under sized it is, some bullet/sabot combinations shoot better than others.

if you look around there a million bullet/sabot combinations out there. I believe the Thompsons and Knights are made by Barnes, Hornady makes their own but I also believe most of the sabots are made by MMP. I could go on about bullet forever but my best luck has been with the solid copper Barnes. Great penetration with pass through most every time and incredible accuracy.

Sabots are a whole new issue, you can get them undersized ie: Knight easy loads, regular sized as come with most of the pre-packaged bullets and you can even get them over sized for those cheap, off shore barrels. Check out www.MMPSabots.com for a weath of information.

The third variable in a ML is powder, I like the Triple 7 but some of its characteristics leave something to be desired. It tends to build up a ring of hard, burned powder just fore of the breech plug. This makes loading follow up shots very difficult. However, it is very easy to clean up. There is a new powder on the market that I have yet to try called Blackhorn 209. Supposed to be non-fouling and very clean. I cant find it anywhere.

The only real answer to your question is trial and error. Get a bunch of bullets and sabots, some power and head to the range.

5. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Another vote of confidence in great bullet performance for the Barnes Copper Solids. I shot them for many years out of my Knights prior to switching over to the savage MZ.

The Knight Red Hot bullets are the Barnes Copper Solids.

If you can find someone that has some experience with MZ's to go with you on your first range trip it would help you a bunch in getting started correctly and safely.

I could go with you but not until mid Dec sometime. I already have bunches of different bullets, powders (loose and pellet) to try in your gun.

We talked a couple of years ago about trying to have a get together for MZ shooters to share and help each other out where needed. Just couldn't come up with a place to hold it.

good luck

6. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Thanks a lot for the expertice. I will try the shockwaves or SST's, whichever is the better deal. I shot the sabbots that came with it (not sure which type) and all shots were within a 6" radius at up to 100 yards. Not bad at all...and I'm not the sturdiest shot. Also, what zoom do you set your scope at for a 100 yard shot? I hear it's good to not overdo it as far as zoom goes. I have the Nikon Prostaff (4-8 power).

7. The Shockwaves are what i shoot, I've not field shot it, just got it in Feb this last year. The SW's are not a sabot casing so they are a true cal. 50 and not a 45 with the plastic sabot thus they load much easier after a few rounds and my patterns are a silver dollar at 100yds. I'm looking forward to taking one out next week during gun.

Sorry about the miss info. Lundy you are correct ooppss. I just looked and they are Powerbelts and w/o the plastic sabot casing they load very easy.

8. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

any thoughts on the american pioneer powder? or should i stick with triple 7

9. littleking

kyle, you cannot overdo it @ 100 yards with a 4-8x zoom

10. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

What bullet are you talking about? The Shockwave does indeed use a plastic sabot, they are not a 50 cal bullet.

The SST and the Shockwave are the identical bullets made by Hornady. One, the Shockwave, is packaged and sold by TC. The SST in Hornady packaging.

11. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Not sure.

I do not know of anyone personally that has used that powder. However there is plenty of negative talk on the hunting forums about it the last couple of years.

12. I have not shot this powder but any of the reading I have done has given negative reviews. It seems that the powder is very variable on the size of the charge and the velocities produced.

You cannot go wrong with pyrodex or 777 pellets, for that matter you cannot go wrong with FF powder. Just make sure whatever load you work up and sight in at you stick with. The trick to MZ's it TO DO THE SAME THING EVERY TIME.

13. Lundy, if you look at the MMP web site they make a special sabot just for the Savage ML. If I remember my reading correctly that bore tends to be slightly oversized and when using smokeless powder down a front loader the pressure on the powder charge along with the seal on the sabot has to be sufficient to get the powder to lite off.

Just my $.02

14. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I do purchase the sabots that I use direct from MMP him they are not the "smokeless" version. He has a better option for the load I shoot.

I also order the HPH 24's from him for a buddy of mine that has a VERY tight Omega barrel. He can't get the standard HPH 12's and a shokwave down his barrel without a hammer. He uses that 24's with Shokwaves and it works great in his gun

15. I've been using the American Pioneer Powder in my Encore not had any problems definitely burns cleaner
    last few years I've been shooting a 200gr Shockwave with 100 powder my shots are less than 65 yards I'm sighted in at 50 yards My preference don't really feel that I need that 100 yard sight seems to do the job
    the one shown 50 yards entered the lung area found the slug other side in the upper neck just under the skin ready to exit upon inspection double lung and heart once it hit bone it made the internal damage and started out

Good info here I'm in the process of putting on a omega bdc with see through rings so I don't have to mess with my iron
    I think I'm going to try LK setup first with the 250 / 100

Attached Files:

16. all you need is 100 gr pyrodex pellets and shoot a 250gr shockwave bullet (yellow tipped). I shoot this out of my TC Omega and the results are unbelievable. I am half tempted to use it during gun season this year. At 50 yards with a 3-7 scope I can put the bullet through the same hole. At 100 yards I am getting 1"-1.5" groups.

17. I had to remove the rear sight on both my Omegas to get the scope to fit. I have a 40mm Nikon one and a silver Omega scope on the other. One thing to consider is that the further you put the scope above the center line of the bore the more issues you may have with the accuracy. But that is a whole new subject.

Don't be half tempted to make the switch to ML's only for gun season. You will harvest as many deer, have more fun and once you do it you will never go back.

18. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Agree 100%, I made the switch 8-10 years ago and have never regretted it for a second.

19. littleking

try the triple7 powder, you'll be amazed. especially with 4 wet patches and your clean

20. tubuzz2

tubuzz2 1700 Lund Red and tan

Just my two cents. I use a shockwaze 300 grain and run 3 50 grain pellets of pyrodex. I shoot a 1 inch grouping at 100 yards. I use a ml for gun season.