close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

System Crash

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by TimJC, Jan 28, 2005.

1. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Last night I had a system failure while running my PC in an overclocked configuration. Aftering reseting the BIOS settings I was unable to boot into windows. I keep getting a message saying that "C:\windows\system32\config\system is missing or currpt. Please insert the installation CD and hit 'r' when prompted to repair this problem."

When I get to the useless repair menu I am able to find the file that is corrupt, but I am unable to do anything about it.

I don't have any backups and I have 100gigs of data on my striped sata raid setup that I cannot afford to lose. Is there anything simple I can do to remedy this?

I was thinking that maybe I could buy a new hard drive and install XP on that in order to copy my files over before re-installing XP back onto my SATA drives. Is this a viable option?

Also, If I wanted to configure this extra drive for a Linux system (to play around with), should I make my XP disk to fat32 vs NTFS? Is there anything that I might have on the XP drive that I would need access to?

2. Or you could just pull your drive out and put it on another system as an additional drive long enough to burn the data to CD.

As far as file structrue to use i can not answer that completely because I have not worked much with Linux yet. However, I believe that it uses its own file structure system.

3. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

Unfortunately the burning to CDs or even DVDs would be out of the question for 100GB

4. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

I have found a site that explains how to do this recovery but I still would like to back my info for now. Plus the instructions described don't really explain how to create these files in my currently limited recovery console setup. which is available here.

5. catlover

catlover Banned

Tim-
    Check out this site.
    http://forums.techguy.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49
    I guess you are using XP. Not my area-I'm pretty much 9X. not any experience with NT myself.
    It will only take a second to register. They also have board with Linux and every other platform. I promise you will get an answer in no time. Most of the experienced folks are on all the boards.
    Just a thought.
    Catz