Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking to purchase either a sylvan or crestliner.

2003 sylvan 1700 pro fish
75hp yamaha- 2 stroker
co-pilot trolling motor
bimini top
garmin echo 72dv
manual smart tabs
onboard charger
new trailer bearings
new impeller 2 yrs ago
full windshield

volt meter doesn't work

2005 crestliner fish hawk 18.5
2012 optima pro xs 115- 4 stroke
trolling motor
helix 5
2 half windshields
power drive replaced

iv'e never owned a boat like these looking for some input on them. will be used mostly on inland lakes sometimes on erie

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
Definitely go bigger, brother.
I'm curious, how wide and how deep is the Crestliner? Width makes for a much more comfortable day. The depth should keep you a little drier as well.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Nice, two good choices.
Both bad, used boats are a crap shoot. Having to rebuild the motor>>>> bad in the long view. I have had over 12 boats in my life only one, new from the box, still have it. Both boats are filled with fun, just take care o0f the one you pick. Both are big enough for Erie.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have a 17' sylvan pro select...I think the crestliner would be the better choice for erie. I will venture out 10mi on a good day but always watch the wind and weather. I only have a 50hp merc. so it can turn into a long run.
EB

·
fishing fool
371 Posts
I had a crestliner sportfish 1850 for 20 years - good boat. I think the boat you are considering is not the same hull. It is a 12 degree deadrise. This is not enough boat for erie except on very calm days. You may want to check this out before your buy. Get a boat with a 17 degree deadrise and enough freeboard if you plan to use it on erie. I think crestliner makes a super fish hawk whitch has a 17 - same hull as my old sportfish.

·
fishing fool
371 Posts
I had a crestliner sportfish 1850 for 20 years - good boat. I think the boat you are considering is not the same hull. It is a 12 degree deadrise. This is not enough boat for erie except on very calm days. You may want to check this out before your buy. Get a boat with a 17 degree deadrise and enough freeboard if you plan to use it on erie. I think crestliner makes a super fish hawk whitch has a 17 - same hull as my old sportfish.
Also get a full windshield - you will appreciate it.

·
fishing fool
371 Posts
Well the guy with the crestliner backed out very upsetting, so the search continues
Since you plan to use the boat on Erie, you want to take time to understand the differences in these aluminum boats. Just because a boat/deal looks good it may not be suitable for the way you plan to use it. The wrong boat on Erie can limit when you can go out and can be very scary at times. Deadrise, freeboard, motor HP, trolling motor lb/shaft length, windshield, marine radio rod holder placement, kicker motor all make a big difference. I was lucky when I bought my first boat Crestliner. I didn't know all the detail stuff but the dealer knew how I was going to use the boat and they rigged it with the right equipment so I didn't have to go back and rebuy and replace things. Best to take your time and get the right setup. Have someone familiar with this stuff help you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts