close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Swing / detachable tongue modification

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Frozentoze, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Im finding that my trailer doesnt fit in my garage. If it was one of those swing types I could do it, but I have a solid welded tongue.

I am considering a kit or having a machine shop cut this mod into my trailer. Have any of you ever done this sort of thing?

2. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Do a search. Someone was talking about this earlier in the year. I believe they did it. They also had a website listed.

I have the same problem. If I tilt the motor down I can barely get it in the garage with a little work. I'm gonna change over this winter I think.

3. Frozentoe and NCraft,

I just replaced my trailer tongue with a swingaway model that I bought at Gander Mountain West in Columbus. Check with your local GM's if you have any. It was made by Fulton. They have models for 3X3 and 3X4 tongues. It shortened my trailer by 21 inches, which was plenty enough to make it fit in my garage.

The breakaway tongue version you are talking about can be found on Shorelander.com. You have to dig around for it, but it's there somewhere.

Eric

4. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

in would also search ebay too. in the last month i have found a number of items that can not be found locally,at great savings too. baught a seloc manual for my 2000 johnson 40 hp for $22.95. 500 yrds of 30 lb test braided dacron for trolling for $18.95 shipped too.

5. I have made a mosification to my boat that MAY work for you, but it was a little bit more permanent.

I cut the tounge off as far back as i could with a Sawz-all. and then drilled holes in each part. Then I was able to get 1/4" stainless flat bar from work, had it drilled and then bolted the whole thing back together.

I only store my boat in the winter, so when it gets cold and I am done for the year, I unbolt it, put the boat in the garage. And when it is time to fish again, I simply put the flat bar back on, put the bolts through and then I have a fully functional trailer again.... and I can guarantee that the 1/4" stainless is stronger than the origina 3/16" tube.

I know it may not be the best shoice, but it works for me.

6. Ncraft thanks for keying me in to the search function of the website. I hadn't thought of that before. And, when I searched, I saw a perfect post inclduing pictures by Warpath, so thank you as well. I ran out last night to Gander Mtn in Twinsburg (closest one to me) and they had them there. I had to pay the full $119.99, but compare that to the trailer shop that quoted me $490 to do the job yesterday, and its a steal.

7. I just got lucky and got it $20 off on a sale. But it was actually fun changing it, so have a blast. You'll be glad once it's done. If you have any ?'s, shoot me a pm and I'll try to help the best I can.

Eric

8. Frozentoze Swingtongue i just did mine after seeing Warpaths post and it was easy if you have the right tools.Sure makes a nice looking job i even had room to move my crankup tongue wheel back. Thanks agin Warpath for your picture post i did mine a couple days later also a new wench and painted my trailer. Good Fishin Fishguy

9. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Any pics of the finished product?? I'm doing this, but waiting until season is over. The boat has to be water ready at all times right now, lol.