close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Swing Away Tongue

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by mcmd8700, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Was wondering if anyone had experience putting on a swing away tongue to a trailer that does not currently have one. I know Bass Pro Shops sells one in their catalog that is bolt on and requires you to cut the current tongue, then bold the swing away on. Seems reasonable but I do not have anything to cut the metal. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. mcmd,

I just deleted the photos of my swingaway tongue from Fulton last week. I bought mine at Gander Mountain West in Columbus, so if you don't want to have it shipped to you and you have a Gander Mountain close by, go there and pick one up.

They come in two sizes:3X4 and 3X3. Measure your tongue to see which you'll need. All you need to cut the tongue is a reciporcating saw (sawzall) with a metal cutting blade 14 to 18 tpi. Mine came off amazingly quick. I only had one problem. I couldn;t get the nuts to tighten inside the tongue, so I just reversed the process and put the bolts inside and the nuts outside.

You can rent a sawzall at some Lowe's that have Nation's Rent in them. Shouldn't be much, maybe $30. You just have to get over the fear of cutting the tongue, b/c after that there is no turning back.

I'd be glad to help with any ?'s.

Eric

3. What Warpath said:

I just put one on an aluminum boat trailer ...... very nice.

Took about an hour, used a sawsall to cut off the tongue....dressed up the edges with a grind wheel.

Ordered mine from Bass Pro.......they ship direct from manfacturer.

4. Seems like the way to go. I have ordered the part, and am looking forward to the storage savings.

5. Had the same problem as Warpath, nuts wouldn't go inside (I thought it was the aluminum tongue being thicker than metal), but do as he said or get different nuts.

Directions are good and a nice unit.

6. I went to officially order the part, and my trailer is 4x7, and they only come in 3x3 or 4x3...any thoughts?

7. mcmd,

I was looking at your boat pic in your profile, and thought it looked like the same size as mine or similar in size. I measured 21 inches back from the center of the coupler and measured the width and height of the trailer there. 21 inches is what you will be saving with the version I have. Not sure what the BPS version will save you. I know of only one other aftermarket breakaway tongue, and it's made by Shorelander. You have to dig around their site to find it but it's there.

Eric

8. Hi Eric,

That's actually my old boat. I have a Skeeter now, and the tongue size is what it is, from the coupler back. I will see if I can find the Shore Lander model, and go from there. Bass Pro's version is made by Fulton, which is the brand I have seen most places.

Thanks,

Mike