close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sweet Potato vs. Yams

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Elamenohpee, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Hi yall,

First, Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a sweet potato and a yam is?

Second, Which do you prefer and how do you like 'em cooked.

Thanks for helping solve this eternal mystery ;) ;) :)

2. One is rust colored and the other is rust colored too. The big difference is one has a fairly thick skin and the other does too. Both usually have some leftover dirt on them when you purchase them. I prefer the sweet potatoe cooked then baked with a brown sugar and cinamon coating. The yam tastes good cooked the same way. Hope this information helps you solve the eternal question. :rolleyes: ;) :D :D Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy some sweetyamtatoes.

3. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

They are one in the same I believe. Just different names for the same tuber. There are, of course, different variations and strains, just like any vegetable or fruit, but they are the same.

4. I like the strain of sweet taters that have marshmallow all over them!!you ever have pecans in with them??? yum-yum!:p

5. The true yam is the tuber of a tropical vine (Dioscorea batatas) and is not even distantly related to the sweet potato. Rarely found in US markets, the yam is a popular vegetable in Latin American and Caribbean markets, with over 150 varieties available worldwide. Generally sweeter than than the sweet potato, this tuber can grow over seven feet in length. The word yam comes from African words njam, nyami, or djambi, meaning "to eat," and was first recorded in America in 1676.

6. Are you always a butt or just most of the time? I just had to ask.

7. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

pete, i was gonna sat the same thing, just looking for the right words...thanks for helping me out! ;-)

8. I think Sweet potatoes are just a little sweeter than the yams, I like the yams better myself. I steam them with carrots and an onion, really good. Onions are very mild tasting when steamed.

9. catking

catking Banned

The wife makes an EXCELLENT sweet potato casserole. Sweet ,thick crust on top. By the way, the word yam is something we Americans use. It's just slang. Just like some people used to call a green pepper a mango :rolleyes: . Candied Yams.......... :eek: .CATKING

10. Sweet potatoes are those curvy bouncing things on the front of my wife. Her yams are on her back side, fluffier and more wiggly than bouncy. :p

11. i'm not proud of it, but i've worked in a produce department all of high school and college, pete is completely right (thank you union for pay waaaay beyond what i actually did there). you would have to stop into a VERY exotic store to even think of finding a true "yam". simply put, if you're eaten it before, it's a sweet potatoe. there are the normal basics....tan skin with a orange inside , and a white and red varieties usually found in the average grocery store.

12. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Trapped in New York!

I do know that Yams are toxic if eaten Raw. :eek:

BUT, I still prefer baked yams with butter and brown sugar on them!
    I buy them canned!

13. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Catking, is that a regional thing. Heck, I was in my early twenties before I found out a Mango was a fruit and not a pepper. :eek: