close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

sweet but bitter

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by nicklesman, Oct 2, 2008.

1. nicklesman

nicklesman Dough Boy

Well I got deer number two of the season yesterday/today. Last night at about six forty I made what I thought was a pretty good shot on what turned out to be a button buck. Did not get a clean pass through I knew I hit a little high. I thought the arrow was burried in opposite shoulder which turned out to be part of the case. Found the lume nock and about 12 inches of arrow at about 8:30 so I knew the deer would die because it had 18 inches of arrow in it. So gave it till about ten and went out with my buddy looking. We found some blood that was bright red. Could not find deer. Knew it was supposed to be cool so gave it till morining. Well at about two O clock today I just about gave up. Called up a buddy and he brought out a beagle. We led the beagle to the blood trail it it led us to the deer. Unfortunatley when we found it the arrow clipped the top of a lung then when it broke it must have ripped the guts. So needless to say I have a rotten deer sitting in a freezer right now. Guess that is bow hunting it stinks but I guess it happens. I tried hard to find this deer but could not do it.

2. It happens...keep your head up,

3. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Senior Member

That stinks but it happens. Cook some up for the beagle or give some to the guy in the marketplace looking for "any meat" for his dog with food allergies. (if its not too bad) You gave it your best shot and thats all you can do!

4. One legged josh I was thinking the same thing as I was looking at his thread. Meat might be ok for the dog if you cook it well done or fry it.

5. I don't see why there would be anything wrong with the meat, other than the tenderloins.

6. nicklesman

nicklesman Dough Boy

gonna give the meat to earthworm for her dog

7. I would trim anything directly exposed to the guts but the rest should be fine as far as the gut shot contamination goes. The temperature wasn't real cool last night but if it was low enough to save the meat from a clean kill it should be no different on a gut shot deer.