close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"Swamp" near Jackson Lake

Discussion in 'Southeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by GMR_Guy, Jul 5, 2004.

1. On Saturday, I got to fish a very unique area south of Oak Hill on route 93. This area is is best described as a swamp or marsh with a stream running through it. I've never seen a place quite like it. I had travelled across this place many times in my life, but never fished it. I didn't even know if it had fish in it. During a chance encounter in Kentucky while feeding grass carp in Ashland Central Park, I learned a little bit about this place. After fishing there, I want to know more. Is this creek called Black Fork? The thing that made my trip worthwhile is that my daughter caught the first bowfin I've ever seen. The guy in central park called them dogfish. It was only a foot long, but I was thrilled to see it and have it clamp down on one of my fingers. Are bowfin very common in here? What are the best ways to catch them? What other species of fish are in there? My daughter and I managed about 40 fish with most of those being bluegills, redear sunfish, and warmouth. We also caught a bullhead, bowfin, and a largemouth bass. I'm looking forward to fishing the area again the next time I'm in the area.