SW Ohio Catfish Club, now forming!

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by Salmonid, Aug 31, 2008.

1. For those in the Dayton, Springfield, Cinci area we are having a INFO meeting on Tuesday Sept 16th at Gander Mountain in Huber Heights (North Dayton)
    Starts at 7:00 pm in the meeting room.

All are welcome, the plan is to form a club and have 7-8 boat tourneys a year, ( hoping to do 2 yet this year) and if the interest is there, to hold a couple of bank tourneys a year as well.

Locations so far will be :
    CJ Brown
    Eastwood Lake
    Ceasers Creek
    Rocky Fork
    Paint Creek
    East Fork and probably an Ohio River location and a Great Miami location

Planning on voting at the meeting on rules, officers, payouts and entry fees or dues.

Hope to have website up and running by then, dont have domain yet.

Please pass the word, if you can not make the meeting but want on the info list, please send me an email with name, return mailing address and phone and interest level. Send to:
    markblauvelt@hotmail.com

Thanks
    Salmonid ( Mark Blauvelt )

2. pendog66

pendog66 It swims its bait

you know my number and email, i want in, but will miss the meeting on the 16th

3. bigdogsteve-o

bigdogsteve-o The Catfishing God

I am interested, send me a message for my info if you need it.

4. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Mark, I think that is a very good idea, you guys have to drive to far to fish the ohio hills club.

I wish you a big success, if you are running it Mark I know it will be done right.

You guys need to get Mellon back on the water, he is becoming to much of a banker! and I dont mean bank fisherman...LOL

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

That's for sure buddy. My new job is so stressfull it's not funny. Until today I have had ZERO desire to fish. Today thought we (Drew and I) hit a small jackpot and it's got me back in the mood, however I have a HUGE project coming up this month, so I'll prob loose the desire again!

PS- Guys, I'm in the club for sure!

6. I can go ahead and say that I'll spread the word, but I'm going to have to say that I'm a maybe until I get the info, because I'll admit while I like the atmosphere of a large group of people I don't know how much I'd enjoy it while fishing, because that's how I escape this crazy world we live in, but I guess it won't hurt to try it out for a while at least, but I would want to ask what all do you plan on having the club do about conservation and clean up efforts, because I don't think the club should be just about fishing, but also the effort to clean up the waters and provide a stable environment for more trophy fish to be raised, that's just my opinion, but honestly that would be a selling point for me that would pretty much lock me in as a member.

Thanks
    -Still Waters

7. H2O Mellon

More rivers, less lakes
    More rivers, less lakes
    More rivers, less lakes
    More rivers, less lakes
    More rivers, less lakes

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Let's also remember to not schedule tourneys that interfere w/ Ohio Hills, becasue I still want to fish as many of Bink & Tom's tourneys as possible.

8. H2O Mellon

I'll speak for Mark in regards to conservation: All state regs in regards to slot limits and the such will be followed, failure to do so will be an automatic disqualifacation. All fish will be released directly after each tourney. I am sure we'll have a dead fish penalty or a no dead fish rule.

Now as far as clean up efforts, I will not speak for Mark, but in my own opinon this will be a tourney club fouced on tourney fishing, but knowing Mark I'm sure he'll have some sort of idea to implement here.

I beleive Mark is offering this club due to the high cost that some of us have incurred this year driving hundreds of miles to fish Cat Tourneys and the Trails that we fish/follow.

9. Yes, conservation and a few public area cleanups will be part of the game as well as being another tool to get more face time with DNR to help develop long term strategies to protect and enhance catfishing opportunities here in Ohio. For those of yu who do not know me, I have been the president of the Mad River Trout Unlimited Chapter for 15 years and that group is 100% conservaton based, in that time, I have built up many relationships with DNR, DOW, OEPA, USGS, 5 Rivers Meto and Miami Conservancy District. I plan to use those same relationships to get catfish on the radar screen for protection.

Ultimately, I would love to see winter meetings, a possible fundraising banquet, profession speakers and the sort but that takes a lot of work and a lot of folks willing to step up to the plate to help coordinate these events. ( Hint hint)
    My job is to get the ball rolling........;)

Again, these are the types of issues that need to be brought up durring the informational meeting.

Thank you for the input,
    Salmonid

10. firecat

firecat Larry Lange

I'm interested but don't know if I have time to make the meeting. I am in with brian though more rivers less lakes more rivers less lakes.

Larry

11. Larry, Im am right there with ya regarding the rivers but with so much stuff ( tourneys) now on the Ohio around Cinci, I hate to impede on all that on a regular basis, I want to do some lakes to build up some local numbers and then see where to go from there. Not many folks will do the long haul to the Ohio all the time, look at Matts tourneys, resonable priced and he is lucky to get 5-6 boats at each one.
    We certainly will talk about it at the meeting and find out where the interest is.

BTW, Launched out of Tanners Last week and found out while I was there that there was a big tourney there ( Jeremy leech) and then today, talked to some guys who said there were 2 different ones launching out of there on Sat with at least 1 bass tourney. Said it was a zoo since all 3 started at 7:00 am.

It can be busy and the unreliability of the downtown ramp causes yet more probs.

Salmonid

12. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

you know i'm in!

oh and hey mark, still_waters is randy (the dude with the boat) haha

13. H2O Mellon

More Rivers, More Rivers, More Rivers.

Or maybe this: More Boat Ramps, More Boat Ramps, More Boat Ramps. lol

Nothing @ Schmitt Field.... I hate that freakin place with a passion. That's a bad luck spot for me.

14. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Is schmitt field the place where I had my good time?

Just an observation, it seems the smaller rivers give up better catches, example the gmr...Seems I see tournys on the ohio where not much is caught.
    With the river the size of the ohio I would think every boat would be pulling in tons of fish?

15. ohio river=ppl fishing w/ nets - enough said!

will only get worse, if it were me i wouldn't spread the news about good catches in the smaller rivers or you might find the nets there!? if ppl will break in and steal the copper out of my vacant rentals then i m sure they will set a net to try and make a quick $

teamclose

16. I agree, $10 bucks to launch after $80 in gas to get there doesnt do much for me, trust me guys, I hear ya!! would love to do all rivers but the SW just doesnt have the room nor access to do it. Jack, how about we all bring everyone over your ways??? ;)

Perhaps we will do 4 rivers and 4 lakes, just a thought.
    Please show up at the meeting and be ready to discuss and vote on these types of issues.

Jackfish, where are you??

Salmonid

17. I am definitley interested in this...but only one problem....no boat :(

18. Alright, I'm gonna have to make the meeting, but I can honestly say that the cleanup and management part of things is a HUGE selling point for me, and I'm pretty much sold on joining, just wondering though, am I going to need a set of sea legs, cause I'm a bank man myself, or am I gonna have to con Korey into making room for me on his boat?

19. firecat

firecat Larry Lange

I would be happy to fish one on the scioto I just want to stay out of caeser creek. I don't like fishing there. I have never done any good there. Of course I will have to find a partner with a boat that doesn't draft as deep because my boat drafts way to deep for the scioto from what I hear. I would love to try some different areas on some of these smaller rivers. I would also push for a late november or december tourney out of Cincy there are a lot of big blues caught at that time of the year as many of us know you ok it has to be in december because of Ohio state football. Or maybe January. Ok but I think the success of any tournaments has got to be advertisement. If this is going to work we cannot rely on just the internet to get the message out there. I think that is the problem with some of the tournament series around the US today. They are having problems getting people to show up for tournaments. You have to get out and pound the bait shops. I'm talking the bait shops in the entire southwest ohio. Yes at first that in itself will be a big undertaking but it will be easier as it goes on. Also you have to make it economical. The OHCC is simple 25 bucks for a 2 man team at that price if you get 20 or 30 teams you still can get some payback if you place and your not breaking everyones wallet. Now I'm not saying it needs to be 25 bucks because I would personally like to to see it 40 dollars per team and big fish 10. My point is that most people can afford to put 25 bucks into a tourney and still get a very good payback if you place. I am willing to help out as much as my schedule will allow keep in mind though. I have a full time job, a part time job, I am a captain on a fire dept. I am married and have a kid playing football that practices 3 days a week. Oh yes I forgot my family is involved in our church as well. So as you can see I am very busy but I will help out in any way possible. Let me know what I can do. Stephanie also says that if you have any tourneys on holidays that she will divorce me and she will make me take the kids so I can never have any free time to fish. Ha ha. The jokes on her the boys are both growing up and will be big enough to fish with me all of the time. Ha Ha she is reading this over my shoulder.

Larry

20. H2O Mellon

100% positive these will be boat touneys but as Mark said, maybe a banktourney once though. I myself am not into bank tourneys as there is just way too much chance for dishonesty. Mark and I have been discussing this for a year as a way to get our feet wet into the world of tourney catfishing and not have to be out thousands of dollars in gas as we have been this year. Lots of other guys expressed intrest in the same thing. Jump in Koreys boat and catch a big one. :B :)