close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Suzuki Super6 150 horsepower

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by ncraft150, Jan 8, 2005.

1. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Does anyone know anything about these motors? I've always had Mercs, but the bass boat I am considering purchasing has this motor. I just haven't heard any pros or cons about them. Thanks, DAVE

[​IMG]

2. Are you looking at a used boat and motor or new? I have heard that Suzucki motors are difficult to get parts for and also service. If the rig is new, is the dealer an authorized repair facility for Suzuki? If so, what gaurantee is he offering? If the rig is used and the dealer not authorized, then I personally would forget it no matter how good the deal is. Just my opinion and how I would think about it.

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

My fishing/tournament partner has one and has never had any problems with it. There are a few places around buckeye lake that work on them. Don't know if that will help you. They have been around for a while so If you can have it checked and hear it run I can't see a problem.

4. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

This is a used rig. If I could afford new I would without a doubt get another Merc. I'm not worried about the servicing part. I've done work for my self and others on just about every type of mid 80's and newer carborated outboards out there. They are all similar. Not being able to find parts does concern me. Thanks, I will start checking into the availability of parts for this motor. One thing I found interesting about this motor that is different is that it has 2 spark plugs per cylinder. With NGK plugs being $5 a piece it would be a small fortune just to replace the plugs(12 of them)

5. DaleM

I believe all of those have twin spark plugs, Garry's does That I know. I'll check with my nephew who works on these and all other motors and see what he says about parts being available. I'll let you know what I find out.

6. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

7. DaleM

Talked to him last night. There is no problem getting parts for these motors. Jimmy Carter's at buckeye lake is a dealer, as well as several others in the State. He said he hasn't really seen any problems with the motors in his years of service work. Their outboards have been around for a while and are running w/o many problems. Mercs, yamaha, evinrudes etc. have been a bigger name thus getting more attention. Like you if I have a choice I'll take my Merc. Again he said hear it run and have them do a complete check and tune up on it if your buying it. Just a little info. to pass along.

8. I have a Suzuki myself. Would have preferred something else, but was too cheap to pass up. There is a severe shortage of dealers in Ohio, but parts are no problem. Either Brown's Point Marine in New Jersey or Friday's Marine in VA will have parts to you in three days. They're very reliable motors, however the Mikuni carbs in them must be kept very clean. It doesn't take much dirt to make them act up.

9. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Thanks a lot guys!

10. DaleM

NC, like I said JImmy Carter's at Buckeye Lake will have them for you, also several other dealers here in the area can get parts if you ever need them. Doesn't seem to be to many problems with the motor if you maintain it, just as you would any motor.

11. Ncraft, If you don't mind me asking what make model boat are you looking at?

12. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

It is a Hydra-Sports 19' Bass Boat. It will be nice to ride around at 55mph and handle rough water better than my little 16' BassTracker. My wife is allready starting to feel better about letting me go to Erie!! In a year or two I'll probably start looking for a 200hp Merc if I get the boat. I was going to get something new, but I can afford cash for this and no payments means more toys to fill up all the storage I'm not used to having.

13. Cool, hope the deal go's you way. I know you'll like the ride better and the added room won't hurt either.

14. Ncraft,i Bought Some Ngk;s For My Merc At Adavnced Auto Parts In Akron For About A Buck A Piece..

15. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

A buck a piece!! Wow. I think I will by a couple dozen at that price. Thanks