close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"Suspender Style" Life Jackets

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by c. j. stone, Apr 8, 2008.

1. I've price these and since I'd like to buy several, has anyone seen a "really good" price on any in this style?

2. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

Seen some private label Cabellas for $79.99.
    These babies are not cheap.

3. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

i was looking to get one of the belt type inflatables, even those are pricy:(

4. snake69

snake69 Equal opportunity fishing

Just be sure you know that if these are all you have on your boat, on places like Erie, you must wear them at all times! We were stopped on Erie last year, showed the man the inflatable jackets and informed that we must wear them while on the water. Something to the effect that they cannot be "thrown" to someone in distress!

5. I don't know who told you that but ,I would call there supervisor ,we have used them the last 4 years on Erie and have never been told that buy the coast guard in fact we were checked yesterday,

6. Federal Requirements and Safety Tips for Recreational Boats

Personal Flotation Devices (PFD)

All recreational boats must carry one wearable PFD (Type I, II, III or Type V PFD) for each person aboard. A Type V PFD provides performance of either a Type I, II, or III PFD (as marked on its label) and must be used according to the label requirements. Any boat 16ft and longer (except canoes and kayaks) must also carry one throwable PFD (Type IV PFD).

PFDs must be

Coast Guard approved,
    in good and serviceable condition, and
    the appropriate size for the intended user.
    Accessibility

Wearable PFDs must be readily accessible.
    You must be able to put them on in a reasonable amount of time in an emergency (vessel sinking, on fire, etc.).
    They should not be stowed in plastic bags, in locked or closed compartments or have other gear stowed on top of them.
    The best PFD is the one you will wear.
    Though not required, a PFD should be worn at all times when the vessel is underway. A wearable PFD can save your life, but only if you wear it.
    Throwable devices must be immediately available for use.
    Inflatable PFDs

Inflatable PFDs may be more comfortable to wear.
    The best PFD is the one you will wear.
    Inflatable PFDs require the user to pay careful attention to the condition of the device.
    Inflatable PFDs must have a full cylinder and all status indicators on the inflator must be green, or the device is NOT serviceable, and does NOT satisfy the requirement to carry PFDs.
    Coast Guard Approved Inflatable PFD's are authorized for use on recreational boats by person at least 16 years of age.
    Child PFD Requirements

Some states require that children wear PFDs

applies to children of specific ages
    applies to certain sizes of boats
    applies to specific boating operations
    Check with your state boating safety officials.

Child PFD approvals are based on the child's weight. Check the "User Weight" on the label, or the approval statement that will read something like "Approved for use on recreational boats and uninspected commercial vessels not carrying passengers for hire, by persons weighing __ lbs". They can be marked "less than 30", "30 to 50", "less than 50", or "50 to 90".

PFD requirements for certain boating activities under state laws

The Coast Guard recommends and many states require wearing PFDs:

For water skiing and other towed activities (use a PFD marked for water skiing).
    While operating personal watercraft (PWC) (use a PFD marked for water skiing or PWC use).
    During white water boating activities.
    While sailboarding (under Federal law, sailboards are not "boats").
    Check with your state boating safety officials.

Federal law does not require PFDs on racing shells, rowing sculls, racing canoes, and racing kayaks; state laws vary. Check with your state boating safety officials.

If you are boating in an area under the jurisdiction of the Army Corps of Engineers, or a federal, state, or local park authority, other rules may apply.

PFD Flotation

There are three basic kinds of PFD flotation in the five types of PFDs with the following characteristics:

Inherently Buoyant (primarily Foam)

Adult, Youth, Child, and Infant sizes
    For swimmers & non-swimmers
    Wearable & throwable styles
    Some designed for water sports
    Minimum Buoyancy
    Wearable Size Type Inherent Buoyancy (Foam)
    Adult I
    II & III

Youth II & III
    Child and Infant II 7 lb.
    Throwable:
    Cushion
    Ring Buoy IV 20 lb.
    16.5 & 32 lb.

Inflatable

The most compact
    Sizes only for adults
    Only recommended for swimmers
    Wearable styles only
    Some with the best in-water performance
    Minimum Buoyancy
    Wearable Size Type Inherent Buoyancy
    Adult I & II
    III
    V 34 lb.
    22.5 lb.
    22.5 to 34 lb.

Hybrid (Foam & Inflation)

Reliable
    Adult, Youth, and Child sizes
    For swimmers & non-swimmers
    Wearable styles only
    Some designed for water sports
    Minimum Buoyancy
    Wearable Size Type Inherent Buoyancy Inflated Total Buoyancy
    Adult II & III
    V 10 lb
    7.5 lb. 22 lb.
    22 lb.
    Youth II & III
    V 9 lb
    7.5 lb. 15 lb.
    15 lb.
    Child II 7 lb. 12 lb.

Customer Accessibility • Webmaster (Technical Website Issues) • Disclaimer, Privacy & Internet Link Policies
    Copyright 2005

7. Is there an experation on the vest like this? for the co2 or something?

I see guys on tv use them, as soon as they stop they drop them on the seat...interesting that you were told this. I wonder if it is an Ohio thing?

I have looked at them several times, but for the same price I can get more stuff i don't need for the tackle box!! ;) oh, wait, I need it all - right?

8. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I was out trolling with ShortDrift last year when a small coast guard boat approached us. They pulled up next to us and asked us to show him two PFDs. Ron showed him a standard vest type, and his pair of inflatable suspenders. The guy asked if he had another vest aboard, and Ron told him that he did not. He told Ron that he had to be wearing the suspenders while on the boat for it to count as a PFD.

9. I broke down this year and bought a comfortable life vest, one that I could wear and fish in, if needed.

Too many people laughed at me at Hawgfest, in my striped, yellow, old-school life jacket. I decided that my ego can't withstand such ridicule.

10. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

hey cj check ebay . i picked up a new camo one for $69.00. it may only be the manual inflated type that you have to wear at all times . i was told the same ..it has to be worn to count.

11. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

I emailed the Division of Watercraft about these types of PFDs because I'm trying to free up some storage space in the boat. The investigator that got back to me said that you just have to read the tag on each brand. She said that there are inflatable PFDs out there that don't necessarily have to be worn at all times to count.

At Gander I read the tag on the Stearns brand, and it said it had to be worn at all times. I am trying to figure out if the Mustang brand is the same way.

12. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

inflatable lifejackets are consider type IV pfd's and must be worn at all times to count as far as coast guard inspections are concerned. If for some reason, you are not wearing your inflatable and you fall in, there is no way to properly don the lifejacket while in the water. Like stated above, inflatable PFD's MUST be worn at all times to be valid during a safety inspection.

13. snake69

snake69 Equal opportunity fishing

Thanks George and Het.
    My buddy, his son and I were stopped last year by someone, don't recall if coast guard or another, all I know is that when we showed them the inflatables, we were told to put them on NOW! From then on, we carried the old orange ones so as not to have to wear them!