Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aren't the Crappie supposed to be going shallow now? I seem to remember them practically running ashore this time last year. What gives? My last few weeks on Alum have been sporadic at best. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
I have been hearing plenty of folks on here saying that they have been getting them in real shallow water. I went last weekend and started out with that in mind and didn't find a consistent bite until we got on them in 10-15' water around the deep edges of the weeds. They were in this bay thick and we were nailing fish every other cast. So I guess the answer is yes they are in shallow in some places but not everywhere.:p

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I have found them as shallow as 1'-2' deep and consistent at depths of 7-10 feet at Alum so far this spring. They want to go shallow but weather and temp of water is playing head games with them. Guys if you remember 2 years ago we had same kind of weather and bite was inconsistent shallow some days all over shallow flats and bays next day pushed back deeper but the fun part of that was i caught large crappie in 2-5 foot of water all the way till mid-july water temp never got out of 70's till late summer. That is same pattern going on so find as mentioned deep water holding areas with wood or weeds or just drop offs then find mid depth water with same aspects and shallow flats with patchy weeds or wood and you are going to have great fishing now late spring thru mid-summer . Oh yeah my notes also mentioned lots of big saugeyes that year shallow all summer long. So i would say might be little tuffer now then normal but figure the patterns now and have fun for along time!!:) So far this spring though most of decent fish i have got are from 7-12 foot deep shallows producing but 8-10" males so far. Hoping that changes Saturday. See you guys out there!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts