Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i been reading about how healthy salmon is and how its a superfood and is best consumed raw. Too bad you have to pay for it. I smoked salmon but never had it raw. So i thought well why dont i just have some raw walleye, free from the shores of pymatuning and lake erie? Says online fresh water fish carry parasites and are not recommended for raw consumption whereas freezing wildcaught salmon eliminates their parasites. Freezing salmon eliminates the parasites but freezing walleye dont? Anybody ever eat raw walleye and live?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I've only made sushi from some fresh caught Tuna in the past. This was from a little fish market in Hatteras NC. This guy had some of the freshest and best seafood around. I've never had fresh water fish as sushi. So I'm kinda curious.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
If you research tapeworms and walleyes, you probably would drop the idea. There was a show on TV many years ago that dealt with parasites in humans. One episode dealt with a group having walleye for shore lunch, that was under cooked. One individual developed very large tapeworms and the results the show portrayed were very graphic. It was a amazing how long they were coming out of his body. BAD IDEA !

·
Registered
453 Posts
So i been reading about how healthy salmon is and how its a superfood and is best consumed raw. Too bad you have to pay for it. I smoked salmon but never had it raw. So i thought well why dont i just have some raw walleye, free from the shores of pymatuning and lake erie? Says online fresh water fish carry parasites and are not recommended for raw consumption whereas freezing wildcaught salmon eliminates their parasites. Freezing salmon eliminates the parasites but freezing walleye dont? Anybody ever eat raw walleye and live?
we make gravlax once in a while and it is very good!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sushi made from salt water salmon and great lakes salmon are 2 different animals. Even cured salmon is not the same. I made some gravlox from lake michigan king salmon once after seeing a recipe in Great Lakes Angler magazine. Calling the result explosive diahrea is an understatement ! This is something I will never try again !

·
Registered
453 Posts
Sushi made from salt water salmon and great lakes salmon are 2 different animals. Even cured salmon is not the same. I made some gravlox from lake michigan king salmon once after seeing a recipe in Great Lakes Angler magazine. Calling the result explosive diahrea is an understatement ! This is something I will never try again !
we always use sockeye salmon,never freshwater fish

·
Registered
441 Posts

·
Banned
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guess i’ll have to go to japan for sushi. Wonder how much of our wild caught salmon is actually farmed in the great lakes versus caught in the ocean.

·
Banned
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not cold enough in ohio for that. North dakota it gets to negative 50 at night. I bet those minnesota fisherman get all the raw fish they can dream of.

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,844 Posts
we make gravlax once in a while and it is very good!
I love gravlox, especially with a nice oaky, smoky Chardonnay. But, that's salt water salmon and also cold smoked or cured. I have some in my freezer right now. Cold smoked from Norway.

Reactions: hailtothethief

·
Registered
586 Posts
I've had yellowfin tuna sushi 2 minutes after I yanked em outta the gulfstream. Little bit of soy and some wasabi, still quivering lol. I've tried a lot of saltwater fish raw and have suffered no ill effects. Quite tasty if you ask me. Walleyes need to be batter fried or baked. DON'T EAT EM RAW

·
Registered
307 Posts
I love sushi and read up on the science of worms and bacteria, so I'll just say, heck yes, I've tried walleye sushi. And no, it's not particularly good. I'm not into any other ocean whitefish sushi either. Saltwater doesn't do much for parasites, it's more happenstance that saltwater fish are more conducive to sushi. A couple weeks frozen kills most concerns, salt or fresh. Saltwater fish get parasites too.

As far as the creepy crawlies, pickled pike is the same thing, the vinegar/salt inhibits botulism to a degree but it doesn't kill worms or bacteria. I sorta kinda like pickled fish but I'm not real into it either.

There's a certain way everything is meant to be cooked. Pork is meant to be slow smoked. Walleye is meant to be breaded and fried.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts