close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Surprised About Springfield

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by AndroDoug, Jul 8, 2004.

1. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

I went to Springfield Lake to fish for bass on Monday. I have only fished it twice before, about 10 years ago. I have not heard very many favorable reports on the lake before and wasn't expecting much. Boy was I wrong!

I ended up catching about 15 or so bass from 8-2:30 with 5 over 14 inches. the biggest was a tick under 3 lbs. I missed what was a sure-fire 5 lber when he jumped out of the water and spit my Yum Dinger out. Oh well. My buddy ended boating about 7 or 8 himself. 20+ bass in 6 hours or so isn't bad for any lake! I will definately hit Springfield more often now.

One curiosity I would like to bring up however...

I saw a BRIGHT orange plump fish cruising in the shallows by the pads near the Lakemore ramp. I later saw 2 more smaller ones, and then all 3 together. I could see no detail as the water was slightly murky, but these fish were at least a foot long. When I mean orange, I mean life-jacket, traffic cone orange! What the heck could they be? Are these Koi goldfish that someone released or something? Has anyone else seen them? How could they survive in a NEO big lake habitat? I would assume the Pike would tear them up!

Just wondering what's up...

2. Androdoug, Those Are Almost For Certain Carp! I Can Remember Walking Over A Bridge Down Town Akron,by The Bfgoodrich Plant And Seeing Hundreds Of Orange Fish ! I Have Wondered What Has Happened To All Of Them , Myself ?

3. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

If they were bright orange, they were goldfish. Might have been koi, but it would be hard to tell when they are in the water unless you get a good look at the sides and the fins. Carp don't appear bright orange in the water at all.......more of a drab color. Goldfish can grow to enormous sizes, contrary to belief. They do however tend to lose their color as they get bigger. :)

4. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

Being that I lived on Sprinfield Lake for years, and have seen what you describe. Those are gold fish. I always wanted to hook into one of those so that I could take a closer look. When I was a bit younger, I would wade that area, and can remember seeing a few of them.

As far as the fishing at Springfield, it is comming around. Took the girlfriend out there a few weeks back and killed the gills. Also found perch and crappie.

flash---------------------------------------out

5. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

Being that I lived on Sprinfield Lake for years, and have seen what you describe. Those are gold fish. I always wanted to hook into one of those so that I could take a closer look. When I was a bit younger, I would wade that area, and can remember seeing a few of them.

As far as the fishing at Springfield, it is comming around. Took the girlfriend out there a few weeks back and killed the gills. Also found perch and crappie.

flash---------------------------------------out

6. Gold fish can easily survive any NEO winter that can be thrown at them. First just look at the average pet store goldfish and its requirements. No filtration No HEATER. They already naturally come from a cooler water environment than your other "tropical fish". Theyve been bred and bred so many times over on fish farms here and other places they change to meet those water parameters as well. An artificial pond that I used to take care of that was about 30 x 10 x 5 at the most would freeze over good every winter. It wouldnt go solid but I can't see how it wouldnt winter kill almost everything in it, yet every year their were more goldfish. Many other people with outdoor ponds have this happen all they need is the tiniest bit of water even if you think its close to freezing solid and they will almost always make it through the year. They are all over NEO ohio lakes too and have been so much to the point they are part of the Ohio EPA fish metrics for water quality, and have been part of "the fishes of Ohio" by Trautman for many editions. They can hybridize with carp to though thats how carp can become so oddly colored and how gold fish are often larger than even their maxed out sizes.

7. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I've been telling you guys that Springfield is a great lake. I was wondering when someone would start beleiving me!!!

8. AndroDoug

I believe you! I believe you!

9. are the fish up in the weeds, or outside edges?

10. hehehe....loooks like flash has the itchy mouseclicking finger too :)

hey doug-didn't you mention earlier something about pikes and congress lake wanting them removed? i.m. me with the details if you dont want to broadcast it. my buddies motor is out of commision for a bit, so we spent monday driving around trying to find a decent place to fish from shore. see yo in the championship game~ :cool:

11. AndroDoug

We caught most every nice bass on the outside edges of lilly pads. Especially look for an outside point of pads nearest the open water of the main lake. The probable 4-5 pounder that spit my hook was under the fallen dead tree on the eastern side of the lake (the only fallen tree I saw, it is in someone's back yard). I also had 3 or 4 nice fish break me off. I lost a real nice one under a dock. I got a 2 lber skipping my Yum Dinger under a pontoon at the end of a dock.

The fish mainly seem to be close to cover in 6 feet or so of water.

I went out today and took my little girl (5 1/2 yo) and her sister ( 7 yo ), to Springfield around 4:00. This was the first time I had my daughter's sister over, so I basically just took them out for the ride and to get a few lines wet. I only fished for an hour of the 2 1/2 I was out there. I ended up landing 6 bass all together, all dinks about 10-12 inches except for a nice 2 1/2 pounder. Again, all caught off the OUTSIDE edges of pads in 6 feet or so of water.

The girls didn't catch any, but I let them reel in the 6 I hooked. They were actually the first fish my girl's sister actually caught! It's a shame, her mom and her new husband don't do anything like this for their kids. If I would have known this, I'd have taken her out fishing sooner. MY girl however, has already caught 5 different species of fish in her lifetime. So she's on her way to being a pro!