close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Surf Rod length?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rooster, May 19, 2005.

1. In the past few years, I have been going with ever-longer surf rods. I started with a 10’, moved to an 11’, and I have been using a 12’ for the last few years. I’m looking at getting a new one in the Fall, but have not decided on the size. The rod will have to be able to handle from 2-4oz lures, and be light enough to cast lures all day. I’m thinking about going with a 14.5’ from Conoflex…..yea, that is a whole lot of rod. Just curious what correlation there exist between rod length and casting distance. Most importantly, how long is too long?

2. I started out w/ a 8.5 foot surfcaster. My 11' stick is my standard now. For most surf applications, 12' seems about maximum. Increased rod length usually correlates w/ more distance, but I think the quality of the rod and casting ability are more important. The only times I've needed to use real big sticks was to help keep line out of the water when the waves were high, and to toss 8oz and bait when the tides really running. You don't always need to get it way out there either. Many times the fish are in the first or second gut. That's were you want to be, in and around the cuts on the sandbar. Sometimes you can get there with a freshwater outfit. If not, try looking for spots where the workable structure is reachable. If all else fails, do what I do... get out in your yak and watch the surfcasters cry while you work a school of fish beyond their reach,lol.

3. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Roost,
    Check out the 12'-13' Euro carp rods from a few USA dealers..most are rated in the specs. you want and i can tell you first hand my pair of 13'ers can cast 2-4 oz. farther than my St. Croix surf rods...with "big pit" style spinning reels. These rods are also made to play fish...not some broom stick like most of our "surf rods" .

Conoflex rods are one of the best..but the Century blank is the best in the world and holds most of the world record classes(distance casting).....but unless your getting into competition casting, no need to go that route..IMO.

Scott

4. Thanks, I’ll look into Century, and some other carp rods.

Speaking of rods, I still have your Classic Cat rod……no hurry.

Speaking of casting……now is the time for Ohio River hybrids/stripers. Send me a PM if your interested.

5. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Cool, i have Vacation coming up(June)...i'll give ya a pm with the dates and will meet up down your way and get some fish on for sure.

Scott

6. Man, I'd rather fish a jetty stick to toss lures all day into the surf. If you want to work 2-4 oz lures with a 13' whip, by all means do so. Just thought those carpin rods were more suited to bait. Just my .02.

7. eagleclaw

eagleclaw Banned

my surf rod is 7' works for me gonna pick up another one in the future