close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Surf Fishing for Steel

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by jeepjon, Aug 21, 2007.

1. I haven't had the opportunity yet, but I would love to try to surf fish for steelhead. I am from the east side of cleveland, and didn't know where to go or what techniques. Also...WHEN? I know when they hit the rivers...but I've never targeted them in the lake.
    I have a 9' 8 weight with floating, sink tip, and sinking lines. I've got saltwater flies, freshwater flies, streamers...I think that is what you need?
    Any previous experience would be greatly appreciated.
    -Jon

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

try wildwood state park ,there is a small trib that will attract steelhead soon.

3. The beach area off Arcola creek is normally productive early. Public parking close to the beach area. Conneaut harbor as well, where the state record came from. Anytime from the beginning of next month onward.

4. There is a long breakwall at Headlands Beach State Park where the Grand River dumps into the lake. I've heard of people catching steelies there as they prepare for the run up river. I don't know if you've done any breakwall fishing, my experience is pretty limited but I can tell you a net is a necessity. Be prepared to get splashed, footing can be slick and wind and foul weather can be a damper. Mid-September is probably a good time to start, I've read other posts suggesting watching the boater's posts and noticing when they stop catching steel out in the deep part of the lake. I hope this helps -mick

5. Mickfly is right. Wait a week or two after you hear the trollers say the steelhead just disappeared and it will be on.