close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Supreme Court Gun Case

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by joe01, Mar 18, 2008.

1. joe01

joe01 Functional Fisherman

want to ask everyone there opinion on this Issues, Please keep it clean.. My stand on this is...

I finally believe that all special interest group are trying to take away my personal right to bear arms.

I know people will say; that this will never happen- well the time is here, its in court and a ruling could happen for a ban on all hand guns in city limits. Well this opens the doors for a lot more.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080318/ap_on_go_su_co/scotus_guns;_ylt=Ak.SvvbViCiGhMeiZBriPiWs0NUE

2. athensfishin'

athensfishin' Fighting the Man

From now on I will present no more long posts, merely pictures.

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

all the gun laws in the world added up will only affect one group.....the law abiding gun owners.
    the gun grabbers want to make it so only the criminals have guns!!

4. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

athens, who are you trying to kid?

YES, they ARE trying to take our guns..

5. WHAT GUNS? SOLD MINE A FEW YEARS BACK AT A GARAGE SALE !!!:p

6. joe01

joe01 Functional Fisherman

I just don't understand the humor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. athensfishin'

Because post like this are irrelevant, here is why:

1) someone post something.

2) 50 people respond complaining about crazy liberals stealing their guns.

3)Some like me or someone else responds with a differing view and it typically ends up locked soon after, even if it is not rude(note: not always I've had a few long discussion with misfit and others, but typically). If it doesn't get locked I end up discussing things with a select few people who can discuss things well and between that discussion people randomly pop in with comments they read on a bumper sticker.

So lets flip it around, if I started posting links on here about things many of you wouldn't agree with I would get shut down in 30 seconds. Just trying to keep things "fair and balanced". Very few on here are going to take the effort to review the judicial system and to do the research needed to fully understand the scope of the issue, myself included. Most will just repeat the same rhetoric they typically do and nothing gets accomplished.

So if patting yourselves on the back and complaining about others get you through the day more power to you. I reserve the right to take humor in it though.

8. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

Athensfishin,
    Welcome back to the important, and frequently contentious, issues. Your often constructive views on these types of threads have been missed.
    My personal views regarding this subject, and how it came before the court in this case, are too strong to allow me to opine. I do not want to cause Misfit to leap from his chair and smash his keyboard in an effort to smack the shackles on me. :(

9. athensfishin'

Alas the warmer weather has allowed me to do a lot more to keep myself busy.

10. jeffmo

3)Some like me or someone else responds with a differing view and it typically ends up locked, soon after even if it is not rude(note: not always I've had a few long discussion with misfit and others, but typically). If it doesn't get locked I end up discussing things with a select few people who can discuss things well and between that discussion people randomly pop in with comments they read on a bumper sticker.

no,it's not the differing opinions that people dislike.it's your attitude of coming off that so many people are less educated than you and only have the ability to gain their knowledge from bumper stickers that they read.
    i've met alot of people in my almost 49 years of living but i'm yet to meet someone who knows it all!

11. jeffmo

here's a quote from those anti gunners who were protesting today:

Dozens of protesters mingled with tourists and waved signs saying “The NRA helps criminals and terrorists buy guns.”

it's pretty clear to me just where their heads are!:D

12. I'd like to introduce you to my wife sometime.:D :D

13. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

for what its worth, I don't think athens is implying that anyone is less educated than him. it is just that people (educated and not so educated) resort to adhom attacks instead of facts. not saying that is happening on this site, but on the internet in general. or maybe thats not what he meant, but it is something I see often. again, on the internet in general, not specifically on here.

also: in before the lock? :D

14. athensfishin'

Call it what you will but I was not attacking peoples intelligence. I was merely pointing out that a thread with a bulk of the posts along the lines of "they can have my gun, when they pry it from my cold dead hands" is about as pointless as one can be(if you need proof go back to previous posts). That stacked with the fact to fully and honestly address this issue one has to dive into politics and religion to get a full board view of what makes people behave certain ways. All these together means that, according to the website guidelines this thread will do nothing but stroke egos and repeat rhetoric as we cannot even start to touch the surface of the issues that lead to this. Anyone who truly believes that these issues are isolated and not deeply rooted in topics that are taboo on here are sadly mistaken. So again I defend my stance that these threads are irrelevant.

15. Pigsticker

Pigsticker State record bass or bust

I agree, lets leave the politics to the real crooks and just go fishin'.:D

16. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

I am a self admitted stubborned, narrow minded, oft opinionated, right wing, gun toting, highly principled jackass. Issues such as this, especially when being heard by the Supreme Court, are extremely important to me. They are equally important to the anti-gunners as well. I like to think that my pro gun views also keep the anti-gunners well being in mind. They, however would beg to differ. They befuddle me with their reasoning.
    The 2nd Amendment to our Constitution may well be the single most important factor to our countries long term gaurentee of a free and democratic society. The authors and framers, I believe, thought that at that time and I believe it holds true today. "The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." To me that is quite simple, however all do not agree.
    The views of those that oppose some or all of these principles have a right to be heard. And I, for one, feel I have have an obligation to listen. In my own, narrow minded, development of topic positioning I quite often don't even consider potential opposing factors. How can I be certain that I'm right if I'm not even certain that I might not be wrong.
    Athensfishin, in my opinion, often might should be (thats hillbilly) argued with but he should not be critized. I believe he is educated more than most, without question more than me. I know he is intelligent, I read his posts. And when I find him wrong (often :D) he's only wrong realitive to my opinion.
    We all gain knowledge through constructive debate and arrogance through vast agreement.
    I hope the Supreme Court finds on the side of the American People and The Second Amendment in their decision.

17. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

I just read that it appears "The majority of the Court would rule that the US Constitution protects the individual right of Americans to keep and bear arms- but the Federal, State, and Local Governments will retain some powers to regulate firearms." We will have to see what that all means but it appears to be more good than bad.
    God Bless America. I'm going to finish my beer and go out back and blow off a gun.

18. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Then why post in them?

19. jeffmo

soooo,you married my wifes sister huh??:D :D

20. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

LOL...me too:)