Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody superstitious about fishing or do you go by the percentages and skill.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We are on the way to Cranberry right now, think I'll wear my good luck hat.

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
Lol! We changed the position of the net, to a more out of the way and easily accessable location. Fish catches slowed, we put the net back to where it was, and we started catching again. The net stays in the original position!:D

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
sunglass!!!!! i put my shades on i catch em,,, i leave em off i get no bites, so i at least leave em on my head and i break even .

·
Banned
798 Posts
TWISTER TAILS.....I have to start every fishing trip with a 3 inch twister tail on 1/8oz head. If I don't, I feel like I am going to not catch anything..... It's more of a habit, then superstition...

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I've got three:

1.) Same as Kegger, I wear sunglasses every time.

2.) I rub the bill of my hat with my thumb and forefinger (kind of like a baseball pitcher) every so often. It's kind of OCD behavior, but I've done it for years (and have a few hats that I've worn thin in those spots).

3.) Whenever I fish from a boat, I cast four or five times from shore to get the bad ones out of the way.

·
I am what I eat.
1,622 Posts
If it's warm enough, 50 degrees +, I fish barefoot until the floor gets too hot, then I put on a pair of sandals. More than once, I've started a trip with my shoes on, and didn't get bit until I took them off.

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
Beer in one hand, sandwich in other = Walleye. Period!

Oh, and no freekin bananas, banana suntan oil, bananas in digestive tract, etc., nada, none. Period!

Nobody mentions the word "sheephead" on the boat (till after the first one is caught, then you might still catch a tennis shoe in the nads). Period!

No bragging about how many you are going to catch, limit, etc., prior to or during the trip till the limit is achieved (or look out for that shoe). Period!

My skill percentage is high, I just use superstition to put me over the top. :D

·
Kayak Conquistador
546 Posts
Its horrible luck if you catch a fish on the very first cast of the trip... Mind as well just go home.

I always have an extremely fast retrieve on first cast :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
if it werent for bad luck Id have to stop fishing if I did good Id get scared lol

·
STX 206 Viper
1,870 Posts
Knots that require twists must have an even number of twists. Improved clinch knots, back-to-back uni-knots, ect. - they get 4,6, or 8 twists, never 3,5, or 7.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I dont know if it is superstition but i never go fishing without my bucket. I dont keep fish, I always throw them back. But if i dont have my bucket I wont go out fishing.I have made it all the way to the pond and realized that i didnt have my bucket with me and turned arround and went back home.:) I use the bucket as a tackle box.It is not empty. I am the opposite of triton 175, i always twist ODD numbers.

·
OSU outdoorsman
2,230 Posts
I have a few hats I am partial to. If fishing has been bad I switch out hats next trip.
I'm with you on the hats. I have a handful and if I'm doing good, that hat remains, if not I experiment. I have also been known to wear the same shirt/hat/sock/shoe combinations if it worked.

Do I believe in it? Not at all, but I think it is more fun than anything else, especially when people at the weekly tournament notice.

I have just implemented a net rule on my boat. The net does not get extended or moved out of its storage spot until the first fish is hooked. I hope I don't get burned by this one, but it also sounds like fun!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yep symba i'm with you on the first cast curse... especially if it's a nice one i'm guaranteed to catch jacksh%t the rest of the trip. I had a white tube that i fished for like 3 seasons once. It was all tore up, even had some rust stains from leaving it out in the rain with a hook in it for a couple days. Somethin about that tube outproduced anything in my box every time. I was bummed when it was finally too shredded to stay on a hook, but it lasted a remarkably long time.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts