close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SuperBraids for Crawler Harnesses

Discussion in 'Tackle Making' started by mhcarl1965, Feb 6, 2008.

1. mhcarl1965

mhcarl1965 GLoomis Prostaff

I'm thinking about building my crawler harnesses with superbraid line this year, and was wondering the pros and cons of this idea. Any wisdom/expirence before I get started would be appriciated.
    MIKE

2. I prefer using flourocarbon because it gives the harness a stiffness to reduce the tangles. I have not used the braids for it but I could see it causing problems on the clevises with tangling. I use 17-20# flouro and it works great for me.

3. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Scourge of Hoover

I agree with bkr43050, I tie my own with flouro. Most of the braids are a solid color like green or gray. A wary walleye/saugeye might shy away from it. Plus, as was mentioned most of the braids fray a little with use and I would think those fraying fibers would play havoc with the spinner clevis.

In the end I guess it won't cost you much to try it out. Let us know how it works out.

4. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

I tie two different types of spinners, for colorado single blade applications that I tie to run off of bouncers and inlines weights I use a 5 ft flouro Seaguar or Siglon 15 pound test. This works out very well.

For double willows that are only about 1 foot long that I will run at higher speeds with two blades I run 30 pound fireline in smoke, I'm going to get some Fireline Crystal and try that. I have had ZERO problems running the fireline for these types of harnesses, one of the biggest benefits is that I can store in the little tubes that fit into a plano case, when I pull them out the harness hangs nice and straight and doesn't kink up like a heavy 20-40 pound flour harness would. I use the platic clevis's and never had any wearing problems with the line.

5. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

I think you'll spend more time untangling a mess than fishing.

6. Another vote for fluorocarbon. I usually use 10 – 17 lb line however as light as 6lb, for those lock jaw days … (yea they do break off occasionally, but at least I get to start the fight)