Super Tuning?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by davycrockett, Mar 3, 2008.

1. davycrockett

davycrockett Fins Feathers Fur

Has anyone supertuned their own reels? I am interested in overhauling some of my older Abu's. I have read some how to's on specific reel models but no Abu's. Also, what kind of reel lube/grease is the best? I have heard a lot about the Hot Sauce but wondered if there was any other product as good. Thanks!:)

2. I have upgraded the bearings and drag washers in most of my reels. I reccomend using the hot sauce oil and grease. From my experience, it has lasted the longest. There are quite a few brands of lube/grease that are good. I also like the rocket fuel lubes from www.heartlandtackleandservice.com take a look at their website, they have a lot of articles about reel maintanance and tuning. I actually believe there's on about abu. You can also order bearings from www.bocabearing.com Take a look at www.tackletour.com They have plenty of articles and even a forum dedicated to supertuning.

3. Round Ambassadeurs are my speciality. I add bearings, upgrade bearings, upgrade drags. The one single thing that will give the best bang for the buck is stripping out all factory lubrication and relubing. For the bearings a good heated ultrasonic cleaner is hard to beat. I put the bearings in a small glass bottle half full with Acetone and throw them in the Ultrasonc cleaner. I then let them sit in the Acetone overnight. I like the Hot sauce oil and grease. Use a small craft paintbrush and paint the grease into the root of the gear teeth instead of simple smearing it on top of the teeth. Ardent alsomakes a line of reel grease and oil. Ardent reel butter. I have some but I haven't tried it yet.

4. davycrockett

Thanks for the replies. J-Fox, I have looked at the Tackle Tour sight and found some good info. I think I will order some Hot Sauce oil and lube. Leeabu, I am looking at S. Tuning about (3) C3's and C4's and (5) round Black Max's. Where would you suggest purchasing the rebuild parts and how much $ am I looking at per reel? I read a good article on S. Tuning reels and the fella talks about using a Dremel and fine grit Sandpaper to polish the surfaces. Is this common procedure when overhauling a reel? Not to complicate matters but are their any tuning mods to be done to spinning reels? I have (4) Daiwa SS Tornament reels and always wanted to make the retrieve smoother(if possible). :)

5. davycrockett

Leeabu, what exactly is an ultrasonic heater?

6. i'm sorry, i gave you the wrong link to heartland tackle. it's www.heartlandtackleservice.com my bad. I usually order all of my products from them. They have great service at fair prices. They're shipping is awesome, if i order on friday i have my product on monday. I think you should be able to get all you need from them - bearings, drag, and level winds if you want. You can get on bocabearings.com to get the size of bearings that you need for your abu's. I reccommend ceramics, but it sounds like you're planning to upgrade numerous reels so ceramics could get expensive. so for cost effectiveness you might be better off just going with abec 7's

Also, I don't think there's much you can do to spinning reels. You can change the knob and sometimes obtain a lighter handle for some reels.

7. Ultrasonic parts cleaner with built in heater to heat the cleaning solution. I bought mine at Harbor Freight. Look it up on their website. Look up Mike's Reel Repair at go to reel upgrades. You can spend as much money as you want on upgrade parts.

8. davycrockett

Leeabu, does the acetone work without the heat or is the ultrasonic unit neccesary? I need to take an inventory on my reels and get a parts list around. I better hurry,though, open water is right around the corner!:p

9. Yep the acetone will work without the ultrasonic cleaner. I would put it in a small bottle add the bearings and let them soak for 24 hours. Then take each one out and put it on the point af a pencil and spin with your finger. The bearing should spin very freely and you can easily tell by feel and sound if you have a bad bearing.
    Also on the dremal and fine sandpaper. I highly reccommend against trying this. It should not be needed on a modern baitcaster!

10. davycrockett

Thanks for the info guys! It is really appreciated. I am going to tear down a few reels this weekend and get started. Better get out the schematics!:p

11. RiparianRanger

RiparianRanger Bronze > Gold

Figure this is a question worth asking the contemporaneous members of OGF. Came across the process below. Not sure I'm too concerned about stock bearings, but have some reels where the drag could stand to be improved. I see a lot of carbon drag kits offered, particularly for the popular Stradic lineup. To those of you that have joined OGF since this question was last asked, anyone super tuning their reels?

http://360tuna.com/threads/super-tuning-a-new-shimano-stradic-3000fj-in-3-stages.33702/

12. Hot sauce is the best oil and grease. I have some ardent oil and reel butter and i do not like it at all it doesnt last. But i use it in a pinch if i run outta the good hot stuff