Ohio Game Fishing banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts
The plan is to get some pellets and give it a try. Lately I have been using Createx sealer followed by a thin coat of epoxy. The sealer is new to me so we will see how well it works over time. It really makes the wood grain swell up and looks unsanded no matter how smooth it is before it is applied.

Discussion starter · #45 ·
I have not seen Swede post in years on some of the other tackle making sites. He was the contact for the pellets. Looks like Rod had bought some on Ebay a while back.

John

Thanks John. Unfortunately, read in this same thread that he's passed away. I looked at the ones on ebay, but Swede said in an earlier post that they aren't the same, even though the seller claims they are.

I've been building for a little over a year now & have tried so many different methods & products for sealing & top coat's, but they just keep going to crap! I'm so frustrated with my lures not holding up that I didn't want to the other stuff & have it fail. I make deep water wood plugs that we use to fish down to depths of 150'.

I think it's a combination of problems, including the pressure from the depth, lack of oxygen & coldness of the water.

Cory

I have a large pickle jar with a pellet (from Swede) / acetone solution that sat for a couple of years. The acetone evaporated off leaving a 'lump' on the bottom of the jar. My guess is if the jar was refilled with acetone it would dissolve the 'lump', leaving a useful sealing solution. Anyone that would like to pick it up (Clayton, just north of Dayton) is welcome to it …

Just for the record, I tried this method and put alot of time and effort in it. I jumped on this band wagon when Swede first introduced this. Honestly, for the work and frustration it isn't worth it. My method for years now is to seal the baits with sanding sealer, thin coat of whatever epoxy you like, paint and clear coat...easier and foolproof!!! People have used my baits on downriggers for lake trout in California, Idaho and Montana, for Largemouth bass and Stipers in California and the East Coast, Musky in Canada, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Penn. etc.... and they don't fail at any depth...I use cedar for all my baits and use the method I mentioned. Of course this is just my opinion, throwing this out there FYI.

Rod

That's not what I wanted to hear, but I am definitely glad you told me! So you seal, epoxy, paint then clear cost? What brand sanding sealer are you using & how long to u let it dry? Also, what type of epoxy & how many coats? What are you using for your clear top coat?

I have tried sanding sealer. I have also used epoxy, as well as automotive for a clear top coat....Still just can't seem to get them to hold up....frustrated!

Cory

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.