close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Super Saugeye

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by abbynermal, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Went fishing last week in a private pond and caught a 25" saugeye that had to weigh at least 8 lbs :D . Anyone know what the record is for around here?

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I believe the state record is over 12-lbs?

3. I think flathunter is right but that is still one heck of a saugeye! I know people who have put them in private ponds and they grow really big really fast.

4. carphunter

carphunter cat killer

Thatsa big saugeye man.Good luck fishing!!!

5. I just checked the 2004 IGFA listings. Ohio doesn't show a state record category for saugeye. In fact the IGFA only lists Largemouth, smallmouth, flathead, crappie, and walleye for state records.

The IGFA doesn't recognize the hybrid saugeye as a record category fish at all (strange, its pretty common around the country) - only pure walleye or pure sauger.

FWIW

Joe C

6. crappiebub

crappiebub Justcrazy's Guide!

7. carphunter

carphunter cat killer

If the recored is 12.84 lbs. then you was not off by much. I hope you catch it again out of that pond again and it's 13lbs. Hope you catch it! :)

8. carphunter

carphunter cat killer

If the recored is 12.84lbs, you was pretty close. I hope you catch it again and it is over 13lbs. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!! :D

9. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

Yep, that's the Ohio record so far. The biggest Saugeye ever recorded was caught through the ice at Fort Peck Reservoir, Montana, and weighed 15.66 pounds.

10. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Yes, but we all know that a couple of SE Ohio lakes hold MUCH larger fish ;) :D