close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sunflowers picked, now what?

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by TheKing, Aug 28, 2005.

1. The sunflowers started falling over to the ground over the past couple of days, so we picked them to keep the bugs and varmints off of them. Does anyone know what to do from here?

[​IMG]

2. gstrick27

gstrick27 ITS BLUEJACKETS TIME!!!!!

head down to the reds game and enjoy

3. What do you want do do with them?I just hang mine up for next years seed.

4. But I don't know how long to let them dry, or whether I can just roast them as they are now.

5. I have never roasted them myself but I would think you would at least want to hang them upside down for a while to dry them out thoroughly. The seeds will come out of the head much easier when they are dried. Also if you are keeping any for planting the next year you will want to dry them that way. I never bothered roasting them as it seemed to be a lot of work to get something that I could buy for a couple of bucks. If you do roast them let us konw how it goes. My boys and I eat an awful lot of the seeds and we may change our mind and plant a bunch of them next year.;)

6. :) Place seeds in 2 quarts of water and 1/2 cup salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for two hours OR soak overnight. Drain well and drythem. Bake for about 30 minutes at 300 degrees. For extra taste, add one some butter (about 1 teaspoon for each cup). Stir in. Add extra salt if you are like my Aunt Kristen

7. Thanks for the info Truck! I think I will put out a bunch of plants next year and give it a try.

8. They are good and easy to grow,I have been doing it many years ;) After the first year no more seeds to buy :)

9. I always just put them out for the fun of it and never harvested them. But that will change.;)

I need to find someone who has some out now and bum a flower from them for next year.:)

10. BKR43050
    Give me a PM dude. I don't live far from MV and I go there a lot. I got a bunch planted I can spare a flower or two probably when the wife finishes getting her "decorating" ones out of them. I told her I wanted a few left to dry out for next years crop. I still have some that have not flowered yet but getting close. We got them in kinda late. Probably in about 2 weeks they will be ready to pick.
    Or
    Check Wally World or any place really they probably have crazy clearance prices on them now. I know we picked up a bunch of veggie seeds at WM for like 5cents a pack last week.

11. I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the offer!

12. Thanks truck. I just have to take some time away from crappie fishing to get this job done befroe they go to waste !

13. JamesT

JamesT Banned

and make sunflower seed encrusted crappie cooked in sunflower oil in the pan(fish lol :D )